Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our Pit/Lab mix is very intelligent and super easy to train but there is one thing that she cannot get over. She will not stop jumping up on you and we think that it might be the Lab in her. Her large muscle mass nearly knocks my dad over and the little kids (8, 6, and 3 yrs)won't go outside because of her nutorious jumping. I've heard from a police officer that you should grab her paws and press firmly down on them while saying "down" or "off" but she only jumps back up. I have no idea what to do anymore with her jumping since I am the caretaker for this dog.

She also won't quit digging holes underneath the fence to get out and since she's not fixed (financial problems) and we don't really wanting her to have puppies, this proves to be a problem. There are dogs on either side of us but we still want her to remain in the yard and the only thing we can do, since we don't know how to keep her in the yard, is tie her up 24/7 which we really hate doing. She has full run of the backyard and with a dog of her energy level, is plenty big, being an acre and a half to run around.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You stop the jumping BEFORE it happens. That requires good timing. The easiest thing to do is hold out your hand like stop sign as she's getting ready to jump. You can also do quick Cha-cha steps toward her....invade her space. Most dogs will back up when you do that. But, there are two really important things that have to be done....Everyone has to teach her this. If some members of the family allow the jumping you're pretty much wasting your time. The second important thing is praising the dog for keeping all four feet on the floor....that's what earns your attention (good behavior)....not the jumping.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts