Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I must say, in comparison to Bridgette, Brody is a very fast learner. I am uncertain if he has had any kind of training before, but he is picking up on commands so easily it's insane!

He sits at probably 95% already. He has already begun to learn 'down'. The dogs aren't allowed in the kitchen so I use an 'out' command. He has already started to sit just outside the kitchen before I even use the command! It's so impressive!

I do have one question as it's been quite some time since I have dealt with dogs trying to determine ranking (if that's what is going on here). I have never seen Bridgette try to be dominant over another dogs, so it's a weird concept for me. But they get along great until yesterday she was showing a little bit of resource guarding over one of their toys.

She would show her teeth and let out a small growl when he came close to her and she had it. Shortly after he sat and waited and she tossed the toy to him. Is this resource guarding that I should correct? Or is she just showing that she's the boss and he comes second? I just want to be sure that if it's something needing correction I correct, and if it's normal ranking behavior I don't get in the way of their pecking order.....

Any advice would be great, although I am meeting with my trainer next week to set up a consultation for some training with both dogs...including acclimating Brody with the cats.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
When it comes to dog on dog I leave it alone unless it's going to be a serious fight....they usually solve their issues/differences peacefully. The real issue with resource guarding is dog on human.
My female won't let the male near her food bowl...the male won't let her near his ball. He always goes out the door first but, she always comes back in first. None of it has anything to do with 'rank'...they just have their own preferences.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
She would show her teeth and let out a small growl when he came close to her and she had it. Shortly after he sat and waited and she tossed the toy to him.
Seems to me they worked it out! That's actually REALLY cool IMO that she gave it to him. She is training him to sit too! :)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah they seem to be doing just fine. There are a few tiny scuffles here and there. She definitely asserts herself when necessary (or I guess when she finds it necessary). They few scuffles were short and he submitted to her immediately and she backed off. It's just SO weird to see her assert herself at all! She's always been overly submissive...on her back all the time with other dogs!

So we've had a little trouble with him being left alone in the crate. He's supposed to be crate trained, but after the first couple times he started to "panic" (for lack of a better word) when we put him in there to leave. He also follows us around whenever we move!

So I've been trying to get him used to staying in a room alone with treats and this yesterday I rewarded him every time he sniffed at or went in the crate. He is the smartest dog! He quickly realized why he was getting treats and he'd sit in there and look at me for a treat!

So this morning he went into the crate on command and I gave him several treats and headed to the door. No panicking, no barking or whining. I couldn't believe it worked as fast as that. He just learns so quickly...such the opposite of Bridgette when we adopted her!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts