Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatcha all have for goals for 2018 and (if space allows) what is your plan for achieving them?

I will start with mine:

Goal 1 is teaching my young dog heel position and creating a solid position using rewards, markers, and incremental training steps.

Goal 2 (same young dog) is a good foundation in tracking without using a lot of oppositional reflex (food in every foot step and a loose line).

Goal 3 is to polish the titled dog's Ob and get faster downs at articles in tracking. Maybe put some AKC Ob titles on that dog as time allows. Attain another IPO 3 title off home field. My job is to stay away from anything routine with her and to communicate that a fast down at articles on the track are in her best interest (starting with much better rewards at the articles).

Goal 4 is to get both dogs off home field to proof them (this will take $$ and traveling and be glad I make payments every month on their fancy truck).

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
My main goal for 2018 is to survive it. Other than that, I do have a list of dog things I would like to accomplish. Most of the things we compete in these days are online venues, but I'd like to be able to enter at least one dog in a nosework/scent work trial (I've got a UKC/AKC club practically in my back yard, just two hours away) and an ATTS test (if it doesn't get cancelled again).

Online, I'm planning on more All Dogs Parkour titles, at least one International Dog Parkour Association title, some Cyber Rally-O titles, and Fenzi TEAM titles. I'd also like to try for some Non Competitive Obedience Association titles, as well as wrapping up their Do More With Your Dog Expert Trick Dog titles and AKC Performer Trick Dog titles. Another major in-person goal would be their CGCs.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My main goal for 2018 is to survive it. Other than that, I do have a list of dog things I would like to accomplish. Most of the things we compete in these days are online venues, but I'd like to be able to enter at least one dog in a nosework/scent work trial (I've got a UKC/AKC club practically in my back yard, just two hours away) and an ATTS test (if it doesn't get cancelled again).

Online, I'm planning on more All Dogs Parkour titles, at least one International Dog Parkour Association title, some Cyber Rally-O titles, and Fenzi TEAM titles. I'd also like to try for some Non Competitive Obedience Association titles, as well as wrapping up their Do More With Your Dog Expert Trick Dog titles and AKC Performer Trick Dog titles. Another major in-person goal would be their CGCs.
OK.. have to ask.. WHAT in heck are "on line titles?" Computer games?

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Kylie: Open Chances (and with it Open Versatility (strike that - got the last day of 2017), One Elite Chances Q, Elite Weavers, Outstanding Elite Touch 'n' Go (8-25), Outstanding Elite Regular, and the rest of her NATCH points in Regular. Maybe Outstanding Elite Jumpers (9-16) and Jumpers NATCH points, though that'll probably continue into 2019 (or be in place of Regular).

Molly: Novice Touch 'n' Go. Novice Chances (9-15) (and with them Novice Versatility), Open Regular, Elite Tunnelers (9-16). Open Weavers (9-15),. She trials half as much (or less) as Kylie, so I need to remember that when goal setting.

Kiran: Get him through agility classes. Debut him at a home trial toward the end of the year.

Generally - Add a new to me trial or two to my trialing schedule. End the year better than we began it.

Not agility related: basically just continue my casual participation in a wide variety of sports with the dogs who have fun with them.

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Online titles are venues that allow videoed submissions to be judged with points and titles awarded. Basically it's a dog sport same as the rest, except the 'runs' are videoed and submitted rather than live. It's not my thing, but it's very useful for people where there is an issue - sometimes with the dog, sometimes with trial or sport availability and health or schedule of owner - preventing attending trials.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Nothing so easy. :) Online titling venues are where you submit videos instead of going to trials.

Cyber Rally-O has two different divisions, Rally and Dance.

This is Leo doing a Dance Division run. https://youtu.be/9VyuUURCo-Q

This is Ilka doing a Rally Division run. https://youtu.be/2DOPyboCwmc

Of the two parkour organizations, I prefer ADP. This is one of Lily's Level 5 legs. https://youtu.be/RkoTjuXAP0s

I like them because I can do them when I feel like filing, and other than finding novel locations for ADP, I don't have to worry about travelling.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the explanation. I can see some value in it, but I expect I would not do this as, while it can show skills, I do not see how it can replace the stress of being in front of an audience, a judge and the foibles of "going live." It would seem (and correct me if I am wrong) that a person could record routines over and over and then only submit their best without the presence of outside stress. My best performances are always at home?

OTOH I can see submitting a video if the venue was very short of any local live trials OR if the person had some other physical limitation?

Anyway, I cannot see if being my thing.. but if that is your thing and your goal, have at it!! Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
They are good for reactive dogs. Ilka loved to work, but I could probably throw her further than I could trust her around strange dogs and people. She found AKC events to be extremely stressful. So did I, for that matter. So much so that I had an asthma attack and passed out in the ring at the end of her first CD leg. The judge said “exercise finished” after the down stay, and I hit the floor.

And a lot of them they are pass/fail, so only submitting your best run makes sense.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I want Mesa to be ready for her initial herding trial (junior trial? not sure of what it's called) in March. We're going to focus on nosework as well. If she grows some front legs we might try conformation again, but that's really iffy.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Remmy - He is back in training as I want to get his last two Snooker Q's so he will be a Masters Dog.
Lucy - Almost in Masters so want to do that this year.
Bonnie - Start competing with her this summer after she is spayed but not going to rush it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Major goal: Get Ben weaving 12 poles (he's weaving 4 at this point and now it's too cold and snowy to work on them at home so we're at a bit of a standstill) and doing all his contacts (he is almost there on the A-Frame and Dog Walk, nowhere close to doing the teeter).

Minor goal: Get to more trials to expose him to the atmosphere and get him used to running at them (we've been to one; for a first trial it went fairly well)

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
So, last day of 2017 we got Open Chances and Open Versatility. So, let's make 'get one Elite Chances Q' the new goal.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I would like to get an IPO1 on my GSD and get a CGC on her as well as my Beauceron.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Soro:
Continue letting him be a dog. We've been more and more slack on house rules as he got older. He is now allowed to sometimes beg at tables while we eat and sleep on the bed with us. But hey, he'll be 12 in April and I am grateful he has made it this far.

Brae:
Nothing formal. But around the middle of '18 I will really start conditioning him more. More weight pulling, more/longer bike rides, and really starting to teach him jumps, hanging on the spring pole, handstands, and other high impact things. We're going to get weave poles next year, again with waiting on physical development this year. I know for a fact I can get a TDCH for Brae next year if I tried a little hard. But I am just enjoying him and not pushing at anything. It feels so great having a dog that is already great in every way (off leash hiking, recall, dog social, people social, motivated by everything, yet very focused) and is probably going to get better.

·
Registered
104 Posts
milo loves the frisbee he starting doing tricks on his own (showing off ) he was getting some good air time so i guess thats our thing to work on

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
My goals are to actually train my dogs. They're mostly well behaved on their own so I've been lazy and haven't really done much beyond teaching them sit and down but now with foster dogs in the house I need to get them trained more because they're picking up bad habits. They're not the best on leash, but our latest foster, Lexi, is really bad (she was feral) which has encouraged the other two to pull more, so I need to teach all three of them loose leash walking. Lexi also keeps peeing and pooping on the only rug in our house, so I need to break her of that. She is a runner so I want to teach her to wait at open doors for the OK before going outside. Finley and Lexi have developed an obsession with eating sticks off the ground (and of course, the other one's stick is better so they'll try to steal each other's stick while we are on walks, super annoying) so I need to teach them leave it. I think Finley has the potential for a really, really strong recall so I want to work on that with him.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Our training goals are mostly agility related. Kai is the only one doing agility right now. I'd love to get her close to level 5 CPE this year. Also get out of Open AKC. Honestly just have to trial more to achieve this. I don't want to jinx it but her Q rate is really high. She is going on 5 this year, afterall and has her crap together quite a bit.

Ember is great at it in classes, really. But I don't see her doing well in the trial environment. Too many dogs, too close and indoors. She hates being crated in a not-home place. She hates car rides. Yeah. I think we'll just keep playing frisbee at home. I might do a tricks class with her or something just to keep her busy.

I really don't know what is going to happen though. I'm planning on moving and getting another puppy at some point this year.. so we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
My main goal for 2018 is to be more consistent with my training and classes. I have been really bad about starting things and not following through or trying to do too many new things at once. I also want to do more fun non training one on one things with each dog.

For Roo: Get him to an agility trial once a month. Continue to work on his focus and reactivity. Get his CGC (hopefully by the end of the month). Get started in dock diving and give barn hunt a try. Get him to a herding trial and work stock more often. I really want to hit the trials this year with him!

Bindi: weave poles! Get her to a trial of some kind by the end of the year. Main focus for her will be agility this year and biulding her confidence.

Kind of dog related but a big goal is to get my fence and barn finished to get sheep at my house by summer so that I can really work on herding with my dogs.

·
Registered
358 Posts
For this year my Aussie and I are going to do more people gatherings. I have Streetrods but don’t go to a lot of shows anymore. There are a number of breakfasts and dinner events that I can take her to. We can walk around the cars and chat with people. Occasionally there are other dogs but invariably they are not trained and often very reactive. So part of this is for Sam to work away from these but recognize the issue. I heel her very close and offer treats for perfect work, not for almost ok. She can heel on the left or right equally well and is very good at following or leading in tight quarters. We practice this daily in our parking lot getting into and out of the truckmor streetrod. We have to squeeze between vehicles without touching.

Last year we were challenged by loose dogs just walking down the street at least seven times. These encounters happen extremely fast and often unexpectedly. One guy opened the door of his car and the dog came charging directly at us from about 50 feet away. So self defense and protecting my dog are high on the list. It’s illeagal to carry a cattle prod but not a stun device....nor walking stick. I have both.

We will start back at the ongoing advanced obedience classes. These are great for just being around other dogs. Often the exercise is “ traffic jam”
. All teams heel to the center of the ring trying to cross the ring, often bumping into each other. Like a very busy intersection down town. Reactive dogs get totally overwhelmed and essentially find that nobody is out to “ get” them. I’ve never seen even a growl,bark or nip in this exercise. It was a key method to get my Aussie to focus on me.

We’ll get out in the state park and in the water more this year.

We’ll do more bike riding too. I like to do our own version of the SCH AD test, mostly just to be able to complete it.

Byron

1 - 20 of 88 Posts