Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

41 - 60 of 2116 Posts

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I'm really worried about destruction. He isn't destructive at all when we're home, so I'm not worried about boredom. I'm worried that he'll start digging and scratching at the doors/wall/floor as soon as we're gone. Where did you get your wireless camera? I think we'll need something like that before we're comfortable leaving him out, even in one room.
I got it from amazon. This one http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DCS-930L-mydlink-Enabled-Wireless-N-Network/dp/B00452V66G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395411776&sr=8-2&keywords=ip+cam

You just need to download the app on your phone and you can watch from there or from a computer

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
We did an HOUR of obedience and tricks and (mostly) agility flat work in the field nearest the house. The only (brief) distraction we had was in the form our cat coming to steal treats.

For me, that's a big, big win.
That's awesome! I'm hoping someday I can do 10 minutes of training without distraction lol

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I know he was probably just excited since we had gone out which meant he was in a cage for an hour or so, but what if something had happened where I REALLY needed him to come back and he just stands there?? So.. we'll be practicing this one a bit more... I think the new scents from spring are bringing out his inner hound.... lol
Great video. He's so adorable. I know how you feel. It's so nerve racking when you realize that you aren't in control.

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
That's awesome! We have a lot of open land, but way too much to fence in and I would be thrilled to have a dog who could work on obedience and agility without running off.
We have a tiny fenced area right off the back/kitchen door, but it's really not big enough to do anything more than the odd game of fetch with and have as a potty area (a hill, and in the woods). It's nice to have and I appreciate having it but yeah, not real useful for much work so having Kylie being able to work closer to home is nice. Makes me want some agility equipment in the future.

All the dogs are good to be off leash away from the house, even harebrained Thud, and the few times they've gotten out the front door they've recalled back in, but man oh man. Overall they are very "I know where we're going and what we're doing so I'm gonna ignore you and go to the car now. Or visit the neighbor because we do that sometimes too" and um. No.

That's awesome! I'm hoping someday I can do 10 minutes of training without distraction lol
That's about my goal with Thud :p We'll see if his classes help. Kylie's just... an intensely focused little dog. Also almost 2, which is the Magic Number of a lot of dogs, apparently.

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Oh for sure! I totally though he had it down pat, solid. Apparently not! lol
Dogs, man....

I know you didn't ask but -

Don't phase treats entirely out with recall. Well, rewards. Keep it randomized, for sure, but keep it something he's paid for (change up how and what and when, but yeah). Otherwise, recalling seems to sort of lose value for the dog over time of getting nothing for it and it's the one command you REALLY don't want that to happen with.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Dogs, man....

I know you didn't ask but -

Don't phase treats entirely out with recall. Well, rewards. Keep it randomized, for sure, but keep it something he's paid for (change up how and what and when, but yeah). Otherwise, recalling seems to sort of lose value for the dog over time of getting nothing for it and it's the one command you REALLY don't want that to happen with.
Oh I know, I always have treats on me for walks and he knows he gets a treat when he comes back. It's never, not been that way. Except maybe at the dog park? Even then though... he comes back when called, we give him a good pet and then tell him to "go play" and he takes off again making the play time the reward for coming back. I've never called him just to leash him either. I call him periodically throughout the walk just to see if he's listening and then he gets scratches or treats or whatever and then he runs off again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Oh I know, I always have treats on me for walks and he knows he gets a treat when he comes back. It's never, not been that way. Except maybe at the dog park? Even then though... he comes back when called, we give him a good pet and then tell him to "go play" and he takes off again making the play time the reward for coming back. I've never called him just to leash him either. I call him periodically throughout the walk just to see if he's listening and then he gets scratches or treats or whatever and then he runs off again.
For me, I have a variety of rewards for recall, which helps with it generally being a rocket response. Sometimes it's treats, sometimes it's Really Stinky Treats, sometimes, it's the jackpot: the rabbit fur.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I'm such a bad person - I always take treats to the off-leash areas (our main "dog park" is 150+ hectacres... the smaller ones are all larger than 10 acres). What I don't do is give Snowball treats if there is another dog within 50+ feet of me or give treats to other people's dogs. They just have to settle for pets. :)

Heh. Snowball has THE best recall. Like, 100% fool proof. If I have cooked salmon with me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I'm such a bad person - I always take treats to the off-leash areas (our main "dog park" is 150+ hectacres... the smaller ones are all larger than 10 acres). What I don't do is give Snowball treats if there is another dog within 50+ feet of me or give treats to other people's dogs. They just have to settle for pets. :)

Heh. Snowball has THE best recall. Like, 100% fool proof. If I have cooked salmon with me. :rolleyes:
Lol, yea I won't treat if there are other dogs nearby at the park or the house. I don't need a fight breaking out because everybody wants the Toby-Treats lol.
I can't even really do 'jackpot' treats because he has allergies to grains and chicken so we have to be careful with what we give him. Basically it's hypoallergenic biscuits or I have to prep something special.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I'm really worried about destruction. He isn't destructive at all when we're home, so I'm not worried about boredom. I'm worried that he'll start digging and scratching at the doors/wall/floor as soon as we're gone. Where did you get your wireless camera? I think we'll need something like that before we're comfortable leaving him out, even in one room.
If you've got a laptop the webcam works wonders, skyping is an option, but I used the 'photobooth' program to record.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Lol, yea I won't treat if there are other dogs nearby at the park or the house. I don't need a fight breaking out because everybody wants the Toby-Treats lol.
I can't even really do 'jackpot' treats because he has allergies to grains and chicken so we have to be careful with what we give him. Basically it's hypoallergenic biscuits or I have to prep something special.
Have you looked into Orijen treats? They have some that are one single protein source (Bison, Duck, etc.) and they're 100% freeze-dried meat. Alternatively, freeze-dried beef liver (I use PureBites, but there are lots of other bands). It is generally pretty sturdy but not so hard that you can't break it up with your hands.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Went to my Obedience group today and for the first time Kris did not bark at any of the other dogs, even one of the other people there said how much better she is getting. Hopefully it keeps improving as she only does it because she wants to go up to the strange dog.

We had more snow today, is it never going to end?

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Have you looked into Orijen treats? They have some that are one single protein source (Bison, Duck, etc.) and they're 100% freeze-dried meat. Alternatively, freeze-dried beef liver (I use PureBites, but there are lots of other bands). It is generally pretty sturdy but not so hard that you can't break it up with your hands.
Yea I think we've used those before. I don't like how they feel, it's like styrofoam... We typically break up the treats we give him. I've also considered buying a chicken hearts and slicing those up - except that it's chicken.. are there other tiny hearts you can buy, bake, and slice?

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
"Training with Kylie is like a group project with a telepathic genius who is only occasionally sadistic enough to want to make a fool of me. Training with Thud is like wrestling with a greased pig."

I feel this sums up a lot.

I also just signed him up for foundations agility starting June 17 - at the end of Basic Obedience 1, but before 2.

I do not know how I feel about this, and may very well chicken out.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Yea I think we've used those before. I don't like how they feel, it's like styrofoam... We typically break up the treats we give him. I've also considered buying a chicken hearts and slicing those up - except that it's chicken.. are there other tiny hearts you can buy, bake, and slice?
freeze dried beef liver
dehydrated lamb lungs
freeze dried tripe
freeze dried salmon treats
ziwipeak air dried dog food
vital essentials freeze dried dog food and the turkey nibblets
what about sweet potato treats?

you can always boil raw meat and cut it up

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
You can also buy beef liver, bake it off and cut it up. It smells awful, but it's a great, high value, treat.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Training with Thud is like wrestling with a greased pig.
Haha I could say the same thing about Ryker. I want to do agility with him but i don't think that's going to happen for a while.

Went to my Obedience group today and for the first time Kris did not bark at any of the other dogs, even one of the other people there said how much better she is getting. Hopefully it keeps improving as she only does it because she wants to go up to the strange dog
I envy you.

We had our first day of obedience today and Ryker pretty much acted the way I expected. Barking LOUDLY the whole class. Pulling, wanting to get to the other dogs. He's really good with commands like sit, down, stay, etc. It's just getting his attention on me when there are other dogs and people around. He does not like to sit and wait patiently. I need to find a REALLY high valve treat that he likes more than barking at other dogs.

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Haha I could say the same thing about Ryker. I want to do agility with him but i don't think that's going to happen for a while.
Well, worth remembering that Thud is twice as old as Ryker, so cut your guy some slack.

And even then, I don't think I'd trust Thud in agility foundations if I hadn't taken the class with Kylie and seen the level of obedience and behavior in the dogs in those particular classes/with that trainer. Kylie was WAY over prepared in that regard and actually hurt some by it. They're really good about dealing with both puppy brain and shy/nervous/fearful dogs. All they really want is a dog who knows how to sit and lie down. Everything else they build for agility, including things like focus on the handler and distractions. I'll probably even switch my personal training with him over to an agility focus shortly. To be honest, I don't think he has the attention span for much traditional obedience right now and with the extra motion and higher energy level of agility groundwork, I might get further :/.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Went to my Obedience group today and for the first time Kris did not bark at any of the other dogs, even one of the other people there said how much better she is getting. Hopefully it keeps improving as she only does it because she wants to go up to the strange dog.
Yay for Kris improving!

Almost any butcher will be able to provide you with a variety of hearts, likely. I've had lamb, duck, and goose hearts, which are all really tasty (they're too tasty to feed to the dog, lol). Lamb heart is slightly smaller than my fist (but way smaller than beef heart), duck and goose hearts are only slightly bigger than chicken hearts.

The awful, awful smell is exactly the reason I don't bake off my own liver. There is a company called Puppy Love out of Calgary that does bake-dried treats (rather than freeze-dried) of a wide variety, including lung, heart, liver, etc. Snowball and the cat both love it. They also use a variety of protein sources including duck, bison, venison/elk, etc.

I only made homemade liver treats once. And that was one time too many. :p

41 - 60 of 2116 Posts