Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 2116 Posts

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know if this is going to be interesting for anybody else, much less useful. It will, however, keep me from hijacking other people's threads with my hair tearing out. I'll probably keep this thing updated, but commentary from the peanut gallery is always welcome and so are people sharing their frustrations, goals, and progress.

As of today, this is where we are:
Thud is a little less than 16 months old.

He has a slew of obedience commands and cute tricks under our belt; commands are not our issue.

He is highly excitable, easily distracted, has the attention span of a weasel on crack. It's a very, very FRIENDLY total loss of his mind, but it's a problem and what we're going to be working on.

Frankly? This is not the temperament I expected of him when he was a puppy or teenager, but somehow my suspicious, wary, and somewhat guarding inclined dog has turned into a dog who is TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD OMG.

I actually think he might be a golden retriever mutt at this point. Except he herds fairly effectively and is enormous.

Anyway! Our focus is going to be on attention, impulse control and dealing with distractions and things that make him lose his mind. I'm not looking for miracles, but I'm hoping that by the end of two 7 week classes and working between that we'll come out of this with a dog who at least sometimes chooses to use his brain and can hold himself together a little better. My ONE concrete concrete is to put an end to excited on leash lunging when he sees something he wants (person, dog, or a ball usually).

First class is April 7th. Let's see how far we can get between now and him turning two in November.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
leonburger mix? Those tend to go out of their mind "zomg loves everything!!!!"

Manna is like this too but getting better.

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
leonburger mix? Those tend to go out of their mind "zomg loves everything!!!!"

Manna is like this too but getting better.
I'd buy it. I don't know what his deal is - he still has random periods of being suspicious of people and stuff but he's also basically still a teenager mentally and more and more he just. Uh. Bambis, to borrow a term I've seen floating around. The dork.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Thud could be a lot of things to be honest, I just thought of Leonberger mix because they have some pyrenees in their breed makeup I think. It would explain some of his twitches.

taken from wiki
First and foremost a family dog, the Leonberger's temperament is one of its most important and distinguishing characteristics. Well socialized and trained, the Leonberger is self-assured, insensitive to noise, submissive to family members, friendly toward children, well composed with passersby, and self-disciplined when obliging its family or property with protection. Robust, loyal, intelligent, playful, and kindly, they can thus be taken anywhere without difficulty and adjust easily to a variety of circumstances, including the introduction of other dogs
the protection part might be the suspicion?

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thud could be a lot of things to be honest, I just thought of Leonberger mix because they have some pyrenees in their breed makeup I think. It would explain some of his twitches.
Yeah. He's definitely got some guardian stuff that comes out once in a while either way. I mean he's level headed and reasonable about it but - I don't know, mostly he's just a bizarre dog I love a lot and is going to make me deal with a totally different type of temperament than I'm used to. Should be fun, regardless!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I'll join this support group!

This:
He is highly excitable, easily distracted, has the attention span of a weasel on crack.
Pretty much describes Watson exactly. He can go from 0 to over-stimulated in seconds, and is often more interested in sniffing and checking out his environment than checking in with me. He's 19 months now and the last 10 months have been extremely frustrating at times. I really didn't know what I was getting into with teenage male sporting dog brain. He's lucky he's cute and a good snuggler!

In the last month or so I have seen some glimmers of maturity. I wasn't sure he would stop running off in agility, but after 12 weeks of classes he's improved dramatically. Besides the actual class work, he's come so far in his ability to wait quietly for his turn without lunging at every dog in the vicinity or whining. He's not exactly calm, but he is learning to control his emotions and impulses and I can count on someone in the class being more wild than him.

He's also gone from deaf to the world while sniffing to actually responding to his name. His recall isn't nearly perfect, and I only sometimes trust him "off leash" (ie dragging a 20ft line) but I have a lot more trust that he will come back and he is keeping his eye on me, even if it doesn't seem like it.

I've always wanted to do dog sports, and for a long time I was upset that I was failing as a trainer and that he wasn't ever going to ready to enter the ring. Turns out I was doing a lot of things right, and he really needed to mature. He's not an easy dog, but I've found that he does love to work - it's just a matter of keeping him focused on working with me, vs getting bored and making his own fun. And he really is the sweetest dog on the planet.

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll join this support group!

This:

Pretty much describes Watson exactly. He can go from 0 to over-stimulated in seconds, and is often more interested in sniffing and checking out his environment than checking in with me. He's 19 months now and the last 10 months have been extremely frustrating at times. I really didn't know what I was getting into with teenage male sporting dog brain. He's lucky he's cute and a good snuggler!

In the last month or so I have seen some glimmers of maturity. I wasn't sure he would stop running off in agility, but after 12 weeks of classes he's improved dramatically. Besides the actual class work, he's come so far in his ability to wait quietly for his turn without lunging at every dog in the vicinity or whining. He's not exactly calm, but he is learning to control his emotions and impulses and I can count on someone in the class being more wild than him.

He's also gone from deaf to the world while sniffing to actually responding to his name. His recall isn't nearly perfect, and I only sometimes trust him "off leash" (ie dragging a 20ft line) but I have a lot more trust that he will come back and he is keeping his eye on me, even if it doesn't seem like it.

I've always wanted to do dog sports, and for a long time I was upset that I was failing as a trainer and that he wasn't ever going to ready to enter the ring. Turns out I was doing a lot of things right, and he really needed to mature. He's not an easy dog, but I've found that he does love to work - it's just a matter of keeping him focused on working with me, vs getting bored and making his own fun. And he really is the sweetest dog on the planet.
I am really lucky that I don't have to compete with Thud's nose - He's not all that sniffy, thank goodness - and his recall has stayed solid, probably through equal parts luck and the fact that he's easy to distract from what distracts him and recalling involves running full tilt toward something and he likes (really really likes) doing that anyway :p

Otherwise, yeah. I do love him dearly - as you said, he's sweet as anything - and I am seeing some maturity. Signs of maybe someday maturity, anyway, here and there and for very brief moments, but it's in there. I'm hopeful that by fall you and I will both see some extended periods of sanity.

As an aside, I still think these two would have the best time in the WORLD playing with each other. Mia and Kylie are a lot alike and would hate each other. Watson and Thud I think would decide they were long lost soulmates.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm so glad Daisy and I aren't the only ones! We have been together for 14 months now, she's almost 2 years old we think (rescue). Dog reactive, leash reactive...she's all about playing! And food! And sniffing! And people! She's just a dynamo and tends to be an anxiety ridden little thing around new things.

For instance, I think we FINALLY have success with loose leash walking! :rockon: Just last week I tried a looong leash, like 12 feet, tied around my waist. With a type of no pull harness. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...I take up the slack when she starts to get worried about passing yards with dogs that she's concerned about, and still have to play LAT with some.

We play impulse control games (need to practice more) and relaxation (also need more).

And she's almost totally blowing me off on off-leash recalls this spring. She was doing so well last fall! Guess I need to up the ante to prime rib or something, I don't know. It's funny, because the foster dog I've had for 2-1/2 weeks is like 100%, altho I don't let her get as far away... P7140119 (640x480).jpg

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I am really lucky that I don't have to compete with Thud's nose - He's not all that sniffy, thank goodness - and his recall has stayed solid, probably through equal parts luck and the fact that he's easy to distract from what distracts him and recalling involves running full tilt toward something and he likes (really really likes) doing that anyway :p

Otherwise, yeah. I do love him dearly - as you said, he's sweet as anything - and I am seeing some maturity. Signs of maybe someday maturity, anyway, here and there and for very brief moments, but it's in there. I'm hopeful that by fall you and I will both see some extended periods of sanity.

As an aside, I still think these two would have the best time in the WORLD playing with each other. Mia and Kylie are a lot alike and would hate each other. Watson and Thud I think would decide they were long lost soulmates.
The nose kills me. I mean, spaniels are hunting dogs and all, but you'd think he was a beagle some days. Some of it is wanting to hunt/track animals outside, which is fine for the most part. The sniffing that I hate is when he has to sniff where other dogs have been. After a sit/stay, he will linger with his nose to the ground where the other dogs' butts have been. I hate the hormonal teenage boy sniffing. The other day in agility we were waiting our turn and he lunged at a nearby tunnel about 10 times - he could tell someone else had peed there and really really wanted to go check it out (and probably mark it).

Next year I'm going to the Welshie Nationals since they're not far away and it would be really awesome if we could enter some rally and/or obedience while we're there (since I don't think he'll be winning in the conformation ring). I'm getting sick of those people who got a RN on their 9 month old. lol I'll be over the moon when he's mature enough to focus through an entire Rally course.

I think Thud and Watson would be bestest friends! Unfortunately I've started to notice a little dog reactivity from Watson with maturity. I think he's sick of other males giving him the evil eye and snarking at him, and he's started to bark at certain male dogs (usually ones who are staring him down). He used to react to snark with a play bow, but now he just gets annoyed, like he's saying "Hey! Why are you growling at me?! I just wanted to be your friend!" I'm wary about him meeting any males on leash now, though all of his best dog friends are males so go figure. More and more I see what you always say about neutered males just not liking intact males, though I also see intact males who aren't crazy about other intact males.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'll join, though I have few specific goals right now. I was looking for a chance to brag, though, and this seems like a good place!

I have always wanted DaPuppies to be able to be around people, and especially to go places with me and be good dogs. Well, I haven't had much chance to train them for any of these things, but I've done what I can. It's paying off! We have gone to the park and to other peoples' houses recently, and they have been pretty good! At first at the parks they were crazy, but each time it is taking less time for them to calm down and start listening. They are not perfect--indeed, many of you who really are great at training would still be annoyed with them--but they are much better than they used to be. They were actually listening to commands like "sit" and "lay down" in the park today, and there were all kinds of distractions. I also could have a little bit of a normal walk without them pulling so hard...we've been working on loose leash for a vERY long time...maybe it's finally sinking in.

I get very discouraged sometimes because I don't have a lot of time to work with them. But we are living proof that if you just keep plodding along, you will make progress.

Our current goal is a solid release. I didn't know to teach a release in the beginning, so neither of them understand that very well.

shallbe

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
The nose kills me. I mean, spaniels are hunting dogs and all, but you'd think he was a beagle some days. Some of it is wanting to hunt/track animals outside, which is fine for the most part. The sniffing that I hate is when he has to sniff where other dogs have been. After a sit/stay, he will linger with his nose to the ground where the other dogs' butts have been. I hate the hormonal teenage boy sniffing. The other day in agility we were waiting our turn and he lunged at a nearby tunnel about 10 times - he could tell someone else had peed there and really really wanted to go check it out (and probably mark it).

Next year I'm going to the Welshie Nationals since they're not far away and it would be really awesome if we could enter some rally and/or obedience while we're there (since I don't think he'll be winning in the conformation ring). I'm getting sick of those people who got a RN on their 9 month old. lol I'll be over the moon when he's mature enough to focus through an entire Rally course.

I think Thud and Watson would be bestest friends! Unfortunately I've started to notice a little dog reactivity from Watson with maturity. I think he's sick of other males giving him the evil eye and snarking at him, and he's started to bark at certain male dogs (usually ones who are staring him down). He used to react to snark with a play bow, but now he just gets annoyed, like he's saying "Hey! Why are you growling at me?! I just wanted to be your friend!" I'm wary about him meeting any males on leash now, though all of his best dog friends are males so go figure. More and more I see what you always say about neutered males just not liking intact males, though I also see intact males who aren't crazy about other intact males.

It's okay, Jubel and Watson can still be BFFs if they ever cross paths. Jubel has never taken issue with any of the intact males he's met. And as we've decided Jubel and Watson are long lost brothers who just happen to look nothing alike haha.

Actually I take that back... his arch enemy does still have his balls but that isn't why they hate each other.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
It's okay, Jubel and Watson can still be BFFs if they ever cross paths. Jubel has never taken issue with any of the intact males he's met. And as we've decided Jubel and Watson are long lost brothers who just happen to look nothing alike haha.

Actually I take that back... his arch enemy does still have his balls but that isn't why they hate each other.
Haha. Brothers from another mother!

Waton's bff is a neutered male who is so reactive that it took us 2 hours to introduce them. Watson just head to wear him down with his charm! lol

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
The nose kills me. I mean, spaniels are hunting dogs and all, but you'd think he was a beagle some days. Some of it is wanting to hunt/track animals outside, which is fine for the most part. The sniffing that I hate is when he has to sniff where other dogs have been.
I'm with you! I don't mind it outside but he goes crazy with the sniffing where other dogs have been. I call him the Cadbury bunny because his nose makes a funny sound when he is on a sniffing spree (not that I expected anything different with a hound). I am definitely going to be following this thread! My pup is only 7-8 months old so I know that he has a long way to go before he's mature. It's going to be a rough year or 2 lol.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I'll join this group.
a dog who is TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD OMG.
Yep this has been Pepper since day one. She's now a year and 4 months old and has only calmed slightly (with training).

She also has prey drive that's very hard to train out. She would never hurt a fly (intentionally) but she LOVES to chase anything that runs!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Speaking of noses, has anyone every tried an animal pelt as a reward? Guess the idea is that your dog getting to sniff it is a non-food reward. If so, I'd love to know where to buy something like that just to try it out.

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Speaking of noses, has anyone every tried an animal pelt as a reward? Guess the idea is that your dog getting to sniff it is a non-food reward. If so, I'd love to know where to buy something like that just to try it out.
The tanning process removes most of the scent, to be honest, but I've got a whole bunch of fur scraps in a box lot on ebay and still have some and a couple of rabbit hides floating around I *also* got from there. They could probably be re-scented with something from a hunting/fishing shop. (They make various animal musks)

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
CleanRun.com sells a lot of tugs made with fur. Like CptJack said I think most of the scent is gone, but some dogs really like them.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Have you ever read Control Unleashed?

In particular, Look At That! Exercises. It's what I use to get dogs to focus on me. It essentially is a method which turns the environment into a cue to look at you. It's helpful for dogs that spaz out about their environments (not necessarily spaz in a bad way). So whenever the dog sees another dog, it's a cue to look back at you.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Have you ever read Control Unleashed?

In particular, Look At That! Exercises. It's what I use to get dogs to focus on me. It essentially is a method which turns the environment into a cue to look at you. It's helpful for dogs that spaz out about their environments (not necessarily spaz in a bad way). So whenever the dog sees another dog, it's a cue to look back at you.
I've had a lot of success with LAT, and the "Give me a break" game. I really like Control Unleashed for dogs like the ones in this thread.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I'm going to look into that book. I talked to the instructor for our next class. She said we can come in early to let Ryker sniff out the room we are going to be in. Also, they have a wall that they call the "wall of love" that we could go behind in case he is too distracted by the other dogs and people. She said the max number of people in the class will be 10. I'm hoping there will be a smaller turn out.

1 - 20 of 2116 Posts