Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well technically this is not my first time owning a dog.

However this is my first time taking full responsibility for taking care of one, since my two dogs previously were trained and taken care of by my elder sister and father.

Now both of them are not living with me anymore, and my mother has given me a small pure-breed Chihuahua as a present (I've been wanting one since I was little) and I have full responsibility of taking care of him and everything. He's around 12 weeks old now, give or take a little.

He's very bright, mischievous and energetic and loves to jump around. When I call his name, he'll come to me real quick like. I have taught him to sit, stay and shake.

However, he's become really shy and timid around other people, I'm not sure about how he is with other dogs, he loves playing around with my other dog I can say that for sure. When I first got him he was fine and would play with guests, but now he'd run away and stick really close to me if someone visits and if someone bends down to give him a pat, he'd run away.
How do I get him to become less shy around other people? And possibly dogs in the event he should meet one and be scared?

And another problem I'm having is training him to walk on a leash.
I mean, yeah he's still too young to go out and walking about to the park, but I want to have him trained to walk nice like so when he IS all clear to go out walking, I'd have no problems, ya?
But unlike my other dog, though, he seems to hate the leash.
When I put it on him, he'd plant himself to the ground and refuse to move. Even if I'm not holding it, he'd just stand with his legs half bent, ears back, and quivering a little, sheltering himself under some kind of surface (like under the chair, table, open drawer etc.). When I call him, he doesn't come, even with treats and toys he so very loves! After a while I managed to get him to come, albeit he walked extremely slowly, but he only climbs into my lap and into my arms, like he wants me to pick him up! I tried walking and running with my other dog on the leash to show him that it's okay, but he still won't move. I need to pick him up to take him outside to do his business, so I'm not sure how to work this out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Socialize him slowly with lots of different people, puppy parties with 2 - 5 people, and after all of his shots, with dogs. Pups go through development cycles, and he may be in a fear cycle. Socializing will help. ... and you might let him drag the leash around to get used to it...

See the two free books: http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Some dogs do get really freaked out by the leash, and as hanksimon mentioned, your pup might be in a fear stage. This is where clicker training can work miracles. Try taking it slowly, put the leash on the floor, click and give him a treat. Click/treat when he looks at it and walk by it. Really jackpot the treat (a better treat and more of it) if he willingly explores the leash by sniffing or pawing at it. Move up to touching him with the leash, having him walk by you while you drag the leash. Then attach the leash and jackpot, then let him drag the leash, then try walking with a leash for a short distance indoors.

This will take at least a week. Slow and steady wins the race. Rush it, and you push him back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts