Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been to three obedience classes with my 8mo old puppy. I would love to learn some more obedience / training activities. I have read the ones in the Doggy Zen sticky. I'd like to work on no jumping - she is pretty good but not 100% and any activities that work on eye contact / being connected. Here are two that I learned at obedience class.

Elevator game: hold a treat over your head and slowly lower it. If she jumps it goes back up. If she remains down she gets the treat. You have to go pretty fast in the beginning then as she gets better you go slower. Practice it in a down first, then sit, then standing. This is a no jumping activity.

Keep away: Put the leash on the dog and just hold it still. It almost works best if you tether the dog to something. Have someone walk up to the dog, if she does not jump they give the dog a treat. If the dog goes up on two legs they walk away. You have to make sure to hold the leash still, you don't want to pull the dog back. Keep repeating until the dog does not jump. As she gets better you practice it in a sit and a down. You need a bunch of willing friends for this one.​

I can't seem to find any websites with specific activities so if you have any suggestions I'd like that also. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Have her come down a set of stairs and then sit on the bottom step with her butt on that step and her feet lower. Work the elevator game in that position, and I use the word 'floor' meaning those front feet have to stay on the floor!

One that I did with Storee for 'self control' was I had her on a leash and threw the ball for her (she is insanely ball motivated, the ball is her world). Of course at first she'd pull and lunge and act insane, I waited for her to stop pulling on the leash, then dropped it and let her go get her ball. Then once she was consistantly stopping pulling right off the bat, I started upping the behavior to having her look at me, or at least have an ear turned back showing that she was waiting for me to give her the cue. Then upped it again to asking her to back up if I put pressure on the leash, so she'd be at the end of the leash and I could lightly pull and have her back up to make the leash loose over and over.

Now on walks she's got the habit if she hits the end of the leash pulling to hit reverse and check in.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Look up agility classes - fun, noncompetitive activities may help you.
Normally when dogs jump, it is b/c of excitement or the desire to get close to the person's face.
If she jumps on you, upon greeting, then try greeting her in a kneeling position.

If she jumps on other people, anticipate it and ask her to sit, before she gets fully charged for the jump.

For simple eye contact, go into a boring environment, such as a closed kitchen. Ignore her, and when she isn't looking, say her name. When she looks at you, praise and give a tiny treat - the size of a dime. Then ignore her again... and repeat. After a day or two when she responds reliably to her name, then you can work on eye contact.

Ask her to sit, then say her name, praise and treat. Say her name again and 'tease' her by moving your hand and watch how her eyes follow the treat. Hold the treat between your eyes, say her name, praise and treat.

Now, say her name, then Hold the treat between your eyes, say her name, praise and treat. repeat 3 - 5 times.

Again say her name, hold the treat between your eyes, say her name, move the treat, say her name, and try to say her name until she looks back at your eyes, while the treat has been moved. You may have to play with the idea of holding the treat away from your eyes or moving it back, until she understands. She may not get it in the first session, but after a good night's sleep, it may all click! Practice for about 3 days.

I don't know if these two downloads will help: http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

1 - 3 of 3 Posts