Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when giving them a treat?

What is your strategy?

My puppy is now almost 6 months old.... still underweight, but gaining as she needs too, but was likely the runt of the litter..... She attacks food like no dog I have ever seen. We bought her one of those dishes to slow down her feeding..... but I can't get her to stop almost taking my finger off when taking a treat.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Don't hold the treat between your fingers. Place it in the palm of your hand and keep your hand flat and fingers together when giving the treat. Same as you would for a horse, haha!

If that is working, you can practice her taking it gently by doing the same technique as above, but put the treat between your flat fingers, so she kind of has to nibble at it to get it out.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I'll also absolutely drop or toss a treat if we're in a scenario where Sam's getting worked up and nippy. It doesn't happen often now that he's an adult, but if you use a marker to note the behavior you want you don't need to be as precise about delivering the treat directly to their mouth. Might not be great if you want to be really strict about never eating things off the ground, but I, personally, don't really care about that.

Another option that's worked with my super food motivated boy is to actually get less exciting treats. Usually if he's grabby with treats either the environment is too exciting for him (sometimes avoidable, sometimes not) or the food reward is actually too high-value for the situation. Either way he gets overstimulated and loses self control. In boring environments, I'm more likely to work with lower-value goodies like kibble, and break out the hot dogs and stinky freeze-dried tripe when working in busier environments.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts