Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any training DVDs that they would recommend?

I've pretty much decided to give up on our trainers but I feel clueless. I've trained my dogs to do tricks for treats but I've never had an "obedience" trained dog before.

Buttercup knows sit and down. She will wait until I tell her "ok" before she eats her food.

The things we have problems with are: come, drop it, leave it... She's also awful at charging through baby gates and doors but only if you don't want her to. If you want her to go outside or into another room she just sits down and looks at you.
I don't know how to train a dog without treats either. I want her to listen to me all the time not just when I have food!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does anyone have any training DVDs that they would recommend?

I've pretty much decided to give up on our trainers but I feel clueless. I've trained my dogs to do tricks for treats but I've never had an "obedience" trained dog before.

Buttercup knows sit and down. She will wait until I tell her "ok" before she eats her food.

The things we have problems with are: come, drop it, leave it... She's also awful at charging through baby gates and doors but only if you don't want her to. If you want her to go outside or into another room she just sits down and looks at you.
I don't know how to train a dog without treats either. I want her to listen to me all the time not just when I have food!
I would highly recommend you get on youtube and look up these channels: kikopup, pamelamarxen, tab289. They all have videos that address your issues.

As for your comment "I don't know how to train a dog without treats either. I want her to listen to me all the time not just when I have food!" I will say this:

Generally any type of training that claims to be "no treats" tends to be rather old school and heavy punishment. I would much rather have a dog that only listens for treats then say a dog that only listens when you threaten/punish them. I personally introduce random reinforcement with behaviours and I also train a dog not to constantly stare at my treat bag. What's random reinforcement? For example you are training a dog to sit: step 1. Lure the dog in to the sit position by placing a treat above the head. 2. As soon as the ass hits the ground mark and treat. 3. Repeat, repeat, repeat. 4. Start introducing the word "sit". 5. Stop luring and just cue with the word. Mark and reward each time. 6. Repeat some more. 7. Start raising your criteria so that you may demand say 2 or 3 sits before you mark and reward. 8. Keep it random. Mark after 6 sits, then say after 2, etc etc. Dogs are good at predicting so you must keep him/her on their toes!

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Yep I did the majority of Jubel's training myself using the internet as a guide though he already knew the very basics when I adopted him. Using positive reinforcement training by myself for the first year I taught him a great deal more and worked a lot of impulse control. It can be done on your own and he's my first dog ever. Now we do attend some classes for nosework and agility but I taught basic obedience on my own. To attend the first agility class I did have to take a basic obedience class but 90% of it covered things I'd already taught so it was just reinforcement and proofing for Jubel.

To get Buttercup to respond to you even when you don't have a treat you have to do as GuardianAngel described above. Use treats to teach a new behavior, once she has learned it go someplace else and work on it. For example if you taught her to 'down' in the living room first move on to another room in the house and repeat until she has it mastered, repeat in the back yard so she begins to generalize that 'down' means the same thing everywhere. Once she has it mastered stop rewarding for each 'down,' slowly increase the number of commands between treats but also keep your reward schedule random. Eventually she will respond even if you don't have a treat in your hand.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. For some reason I just feel clueless when it comes to training her. She's obstinate. With my previous dogs, I showed them what I wanted and they eventually started doing it. She challenges me. I tell her to go outside and she sits down. When that happens I'm at a loss....I don't want to grab her collar and force her (and one day get bitten) but I don't want to have to bribe her with a treat every single time.
Same thing with "go to bed". With all of my other dogs I would say "go to bed" and guide them into their crates. After a week or so they knew that "go to bed" meant get in your crate. Buttercup knows what it means but instead of going to her crate she either sits down or turns and runs the opposite way!

She's really not a bad dog and she usually listens fairly well....but when it's something that she doesn't want to do (like go to bed or outside or stop trying to eat Jasper) then forget about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My favorite video to date has been Sirius Puppy Training. You can find it on Amazon either on DVD or as an instant download. I happened to find it online through a popular bit-torrent site. After watching his video I went on youtube and found a few others, like kikopup, which I really like a lot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts