Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While sitting on command, playing dead, twirling around on two hind legs like a ballerina and a good recall is very impressive. Except for a good recall, none of this is other hocus pocus is very important to me. What is important to me is that the dog burns off it energy during its walkabouts and is well behaved at home. So far so good, entertaining the dog while burning excess energy seems to be working. I've notice as a puppy, recall has been for the most part very effective but as the dog is becoming more independent, i fear the recall is going to begin to wane...
Some of the energy depleting activities i'm employing. More suggestions is always welcome...

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Obviously exercise is good, but the more a very active, high energy dog exercises, the more exercise is required to satisfy them, as they build stamina.

That "hocus pocus," on the other hand, is mental exercise for a dog. It also satisfies the dog's need for stimulation, and can wear out even the most athletic, fit dog. My hyperactive poodle can happily run all day, but a 20 minute scentwork session sends him into a coma (in a good way). Teaching a dog to find lavender on command or twirl or whatever may not be a super practical thing (although Jet is getting pretty good at finding my keys and phone, which is awesome), but it helps the dog learn to communicate with humans and it teaches (If you doing it right) that it's fun to do what humans ask, which is VERY useful.

·
Banned
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Obviously exercise is good, but the more a very active, high energy dog exercises, the more exercise is required to satisfy them, as they build stamina.
i concur completely. Currently working on my own stamina, looking forward to being able to throw fetch items twice as far eventually...

At home is more of the same i guess, some roughhousing and tug of war is a big one. Most of the dogs mental stimulation comes from it trying to find where i've hidden my dirty socks & underwear. And i supply him with a decent amount of toys to keep him busy. 10 months old, with the exception of my sneakers (if i forget to put them out of its reach), it still hasn't started chewing our furniture. I can't help but think this is the calm before the storm, lol....

·
Registered
127 Posts
They say 5 mins of metal excersise is equivalent to 30 mins of straight physical exercise.

My pup loves to play hide and seek. Finding me, hidden treats or toys. I teach him the names of some toys and ask him to find them. I know it seems not fun to you or practical, but it gets them thinking and using their brains and most of all they have fun. I am convinced mental excersise in conjunction with some physical is the key to a tired dog. A tired fulfilled dog is a good dog.

Personally I don't see recall dwindling as long as you keep it fun and always big praise reward for complying.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts