Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was trying to train my aussie to the petsafe wireless fence. When she heard the beep as she approached the boundary she automatically turned back. She was scared and just wanted to go back inside the house no matter what I did to try and comfort her it didn't work. Like 4 or 5 years ago we tried using a shock collar to train her to not chase cars, but she was never even shocked by it it would just beep or vibrate and she ran back. After that she wouldn't chase if she had the collar on as soon as it was taken off, she went back to chasing lol. Not sure how to go about training her when she's scared as soon as the first beep goes off on the collar. She's always been a VERY fast learner and the easiest dog I've ever trained. but ive never messed with wireless fence training or anything shock related really i dont like it but its whats best for them where we live lol. I watched a bunch of videos on it before I even put the collar on her and I did what they said to do in the instructions and everything but it didn't go to plan lol. Any tips on how I can make her feel comfortable when I start training would be great :) thanks

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm sorry, but if she's reacting with such fear to the stimulation of the electric shock collar I simply can't believe that this is what's best for her, regardless of where you live.

Find another way to boundary train your dog.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
If you can't do a real fence, it's easy to put up a cheap fast, easily-removed fence using t-posts and sheep mesh. A more expensive but more secure and modular option are chainlink kennel panels that can be assembled to form a dog yard.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
The dog is the one who decides what is aversive. She's obviously decided that the beep is (extremely) aversive. I would find an alternate means of keeping her in the yard. Parus' suggestions of t-posts and livestock fencing or kennel panels are good options.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I use an e collar to train and make no excuses about it. This collar is not needed for every dog (the only tools I think are "universal" dog training tools are collar and leash.. and many on this forum argue about the collar!).

In your case your dog is too sensitive for any e collar. This tool is not an option.

The issue is how to confine w/o a physical fence. I know in some communities zoning laws, home owners association and subdivision rules don't allow fences.

If a physical fence is not an option you could get a tie out. I prefer a trolley cable and line to the dog over a chain tie out. Here is an example. It needs to be suspended and attached either to two posts, two trees or a post/tree and the house.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today I took her out walking on a 20 foot long line around the boundary while i held the collar in my hand beside her rather than putting it on her. Her reaction was completely different. she wasn't afraid at all when it beeped and she was excited and responded really well to everything I did. I only went past the boundary a few times and rewarded her when she came back in the boundary. she responded very positively to the whole thing. I think I will just take her out and play with her somewhat close to the flags for a while before I really start the training. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts