Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, I know. I never should have started this behavior, but I took some advice from someone and it has back fired. I let my dog start sleeping in the bed with me probably around 8 months old. She is now little over a 1.5. I don't really mind her sleeping with me. I'm single and she is pretty good in the bed, minus taking up most of the bed. However, my OCD has started getting the better of me and I'm not dealing well with all of her shedding in the bed (I use all the products, but she is a dog and will shed), plus today I noticed that she is tearing my comforters when she runs and jumps on the bed. Even with trimmed nails. First of all, is there hope I can retrain her on this matter? Second, are there some techniques you can suggest. She was originally taught through Petsmart techniques, reward systems and she does really well with them (if only her human was better at it). I don't mind if she is in my bedroom with me, but I bought her a nice comfy dog bed and she basically ignores it. I'd love to have her sleep in the room, but stay off the bed. Any help?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Adapt the go to mat command for her bed. You basically want to make her bed so rewarding she chooses it. You may also want to explore if she even likes that kind of bed. It's nice to you, but may not be to her. You may want to try another style of bed. Some dogs love a big, open pillow, others like to be cradled by surrounding sides and others want a small cave to retreat into.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I don't know if it'll work for you or not, but when you want to start training her to stay off, re-arrange the furniture in your bedroom - especially the bed.

When we got Pepper we were allowing her on our couch all the time, but she got older and bigger and would come running into the living room and fly onto the couch at full speed. Cute when she was 15 lbs. Not so cute at 40 lbs and still growing. We re-arranged the living room furniture and that same day starting keeping her off the couch. It was amazing! She tried a couple of times and we said no and put a hand in front of her face. She never even tried again after that day! I don't know how it happened, but it was the easiest thing we've trained her to do.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
There's also a training-free solution if you're not great at training: get a bunk bed, or put your bed up on some sort of blocks so that it's too high for her to jump up on.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
I do like having a positive place to send them instead of just saying No, or off the bed. Main thing is be constant with the long haul training. Be willing to physically get yourself up every time when your training to be the guide for the dog, to get down from the bed follow you to their place and lay down. At the beginning to set fast responses for the future, reward reward reward for each step for following the steps. It takes time undo and redo have to stay with it. The other is set a different routine, all together using the crate. Time to go to sleep your pups place is in the crate while sleeping. Nothing wrong with that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts