Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience with the Groovypets training collar? I want to use it solely for recall only since my dog breed has the tendency to run. I have read that many owners have used these collars to train them, but I can never find contact info. If you do use the collar for training, when do you stop? Won't the dog figure out that if you don't use the collar, they can get away with anything or will the dog have to wear a collar their whole life?

Thanks!
MJH23

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I don't know much about using shock collars but honestly if your dog is prone to run keep him on a leash. It's that simple, I'm not trying to be an @$$ but it is the simplest solution and the safest solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think you're being an a$$, that would be the logical explanation. I want an obedient dog, however even at the off-leash dog park, there are times she doesn't come to me.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Teach a great recall, by having the dog always come to you for good things ONLY treats. Don't use it to call her in for fun ending, if she is at the dog park call her to you if she comes treat, then let her go back to fun, then call her back to you treat and then leave. Keep it random when the fun ends.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
A shock collar will not teach your dog recall. If nothing else, it will teach the dog not to come back to you.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I have used 3 different brands of e-collars. The very cheap one$35 off of ebay. Save your money. It did work but did not last long at all. The quality was junk. The other one by Innotek for small dogs. Did ok but not much of a range. Had to be almost standing on top of dog to get a response. The 3 rd one was a Sport dog one. Love it. But the dogs do figure out when they have the collar on or not..

·
Registered
281 Posts
Has anyone had experience with the Groovypets training collar? I want to use it solely for recall only since my dog breed has the tendency to run. I have read that many owners have used these collars to train them, but I can never find contact info. If you do use the collar for training, when do you stop? Won't the dog figure out that if you don't use the collar, they can get away with anything or will the dog have to wear a collar their whole life?

Thanks!
MJH23
If you are going to get one I would recommend investing in something more expensive. If it's cheap expect to get something cheap, that's how I see it.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Thanks!
MJH23
1. As an e collar user, I would not use this specific collar on my dog. There are better on the market.

2. If done correctly, dogs are trained without the ecollar prior to putting the collar. Your dog MUST have a clear UNDERSTANDING of what is expected BEFORE e collar usage. You leash train first. The collar is simply backup.

3. I don't think you ever stop "using" the collar as you should always be working with you dog in a positive way. Training should be a continuous effort of positive reinforcement.

4. If trained correctly, I don't think your dog will know when he has the collar on or off. He'll come because he wants to. At least, that's what I'm experiencing.

Adding in my 2 cents; if you're goin going to e train, seek out a professional. It's so much more than putting the collar on your dog and buzzing him when he doesn't come. IMHO, that's a mean thing to do. Before our trainer put the collar on our dog, we had about 15 hours of leash training under our belts.

Also, many people are against e collar usage. Be prepared to deal with it as they will say something to you.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
3. I don't think you ever stop "using" the collar as you should always be working with you dog in a positive way. Training should be a continuous effort of positive reinforcement.
Why does this statement sound so ironic....

I'm not against using shock collars when necessary (it doesn't sound at all necessary for the OP), but I'm certainly not going to think of zapping a dog as "positive reinforcement"

·
Registered
35 Posts
Why does this statement sound so ironic....

I'm not against using shock collars when necessary (it doesn't sound at all necessary for the OP), but I'm certainly not going to think of zapping a dog as "positive reinforcement"

Hmmmm.. Bad wording in my part if that's what you're take away was as I did not say zapping your dog was pr. Wasn't meant to be ironic as I put the word using in quotes. Let me try again; I don't think you ever stop training your dog. Your expectations should always be consistent. If they are not, your dog will mostly likely revert back to not listening. However you decide to train your dog

·
Registered
562 Posts
If you want to teach a recall with an e-collar, for one thing, you shouldn't be using a cheap model like a Groovypets whatever. Do some research into low-stim protocols, IME these are the most humane and the most effective ways to use an e-collar. You will more or less need either a Dogtra or an Einstein collar to properly execute said methods as they are extremely adjustable. You're going to pay almost $200 for a decent model in either brand. This is just not something you can do cheaply and it is not and should never be considered an instant fix for anything.

For one of my dogs in particular, the potential benefits of a low-stim protocol for recall far outweigh the mild aversive of the collar.

I could give a rat's a** if others don't like it, because fortunately they're my dogs and it's my decision to make. :D But do be prepared for a great many opinionated and often uneducated/inexperienced people to make sweeping judgements about you as a dog owner and human being. LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts