Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are starting training classes on Monday, every Monday, for 4 weeks. The classes are an hour long, and are $60... I'll probably put her in for another 4 weeks after this one, and some follow up ones for the socialization. The trainer has heard a lot about Kola, and said he would be interested in meeting her as soon as possible, which would have been last Monday, but I was sick and Kola had a vet appointment.

Since my brother has been gone so much lately, he hasn't interfered with any training! He might move out...if he starts going to school again my parents will pay rent, if he doesn't he needs a job.

We went to the vet on Monday...could have gone better. The first thing she didn't was growl at the vet tech, and then the vet, and then they muzzled her and talked about how muzzling dogs calms them (the dogs) down. Yeah...riight. She did shockingly well though, no starting fights, attacking the cat, misbehaving, or snapping.

If I could find a place to rehome her, with someone who knew what they were doing with dogs I would, but here those places are far and few between... With most people here if the dog has a chain or fence, water, corn-filled food, and dog house is all it should need to be happy, right? If it's registered maybe it can come inside once in a while. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I forgot to mention, we started clicker training.. Oh my goodness...she's got so much better focus now! Wow...

·
Registered
962 Posts
Sounds like you are trying to do what is right for the dog, but on the other hand, are you more interested in rehomeing the dog or keeping it? If you feel your life is very complex right now, owning a dog will only complicate things more, and the dog will get the short end of the stick. Find a home for the dog.
On the other hand, if you find away to keep the dog, you will never find a better friend in your life time that is more devoted to you!:) Once a dog passes a certain age they really settle down and fit in much more comfortably, usually around two years. Good luck, and you have done a good job so far!!!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm on the fence about rehoming her. A lot of it depends on my brother, but I really don't think he'll be spending anymore time at home. He usually sleeps until two, does laundry, dishes, and maybe cleans, asks for money, comes home around midnight...and the whole cyle starts again. There are day's I don't see him awake, at home. Since he's not setting back our training, I see no need to rehome her. If he decides to start spending more at home time, I'll start searching out a new home, but right now if somebody were to ask about her, I would list all the requirements that they would have to meet, and if they met them, she would be rehomed.

I would like to get her started in agility, and probably working in duck herding, depending on how well she does in her obedience classes, and at the obedience show.

Once a dog passes a certain age they really settle down and fit in much more comfortably, usually around two years.
Kola is one of those crazies who quite caught on to that. Up until about two years old she was really calm, relaxed, and then she got to be her crazy, normal self. :p She'll be four in late October.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I'm glad to hear she isn't seeing your brother much. I hope that continues. Good luck with and have fun at the training!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts