Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 3 month old Australian cattle dog goes to bed about 10:30 and gets up to go potty about 4:30. After I take her out she goes straight back into her crate. We dont have to be up until 6-6:30 but she just sits in her crate and barks incessently until I get can’t stand it and get her usually after 20-30 minutes. How can I train her to go back to sleep after her early morning potty break?!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I'm assuming this is demand barking - that is, Bloo isn't acting super distressed and doing things like biting the crate, defecating or urinating on herself, barking so frantically she makes herself vomit, etc.

If that's the case? You may want to invest in some earplugs. Going to get her is teaching her that her barking gets her what she wants: out of the crate and with you. Therefore, she's going to continue to do it as long as it keeps working. So you have to hold out and show that it doesn't work anymore by ignoring the behavior - even though she'll probably bark louder and longer for a little while before she stops (this is called an "extinction burst"), because she doesn't understand why it suddenly stopped working. You could also keep frozen kongs stocked in your freezer, and give her one when she goes back in the crate to help her learn to self-soothe and occupy herself, and/or try a white noise generator for either her or yourself to see if it helps preserve your sleep.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
She might be hungry by then. Try feeding her half her meal, or use a Kong as DaySleepers suggested. Don't go get her until she's stopped barking completely otherwise you're just teaching her that barking gets her what she wants.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It took a few months here. I just put her back in the crate downstairs and slept on the couch next to her for a couple hours. We did have two crates though... so she'd sleep upstairs with us until pee time, then we'd finish the night downstairs.

To be fair, she never barked. She whined a bit when she had to go pee, but that's pretty much it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts