Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Spooky is such a troublemaker!! We have no fence right now for our backyard and I would love to play with my dogs in the back but they are in their teens and lately all training has just vanished...sigh.
Spooky has so far on several occasions would just take off!! he will run down the street and completely ignore me...taking the advice of someone who has been seeing a dogtrainer, I would catch him and put Spooky in the crate. well, now Spooky learned that if he runs and I catch him, its crate time so catching him is now worse. that plan completely backfired, he won't even come close when I have his fav treat, turkey hotdogs. when i try to grab him he just jumps back. with him outside without him taking off, seems like he is the only dog in the neighborhood who run away. Wicket, his partner in crime is now doing the same thing. (and sometimes they run 4 houses up the road where my friend has a fenced yard with two dogs they sometimes play with...and I have to catch them) Any tips on keeping two dogs about a year/year and 6 months to STAY and come when I call?? the problem is also he LOVES to run and stalk...his mother was an australian shep and I believe this is where he gets his I gotta run run run from. I do take him for walks and let him run loose at the dog park at least once a week.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does he have a toy that he just LOVES? Squeeky toys can work well for getting their attention.

When you go out and play, I would take him out with a 16' training leash and play with him on that. Bring treats, a favorite toy, something that makes noise (whistle or a squeeky toy) and teach him to come back when you make noise with those (be consistent!) and give him a treat when he does and lots of praise!!!

Since you don't have a fenced yard, you need to make your area as controlled as possible, so I wouldn't take him out there unless you have a guarantee he cannot run off by keeping him leashed until he learns otherwise.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a line outside now and do keep them on a leash, after those few times they are "grounded." funny how before that they NEVER took off and always came when I called. but I still need to have them come when I call...in case they get loose by accident. they only do it at the house. at the dog park they always come when called as well as the river when I let them walk with no leash.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Does he have a toy that he just LOVES? Squeeky toys can work well for getting their attention.

When you go out and play, I would take him out with a 16' training leash and play with him on that. Bring treats, a favorite toy, something that makes noise (whistle or a squeeky toy) and teach him to come back when you make noise with those (be consistent!) and give him a treat when he does and lots of praise!!!

Since you don't have a fenced yard, you need to make your area as controlled as possible, so I wouldn't take him out there unless you have a guarantee he cannot run off by keeping him leashed until he learns otherwise.
I agree with this. If you're concerned about the dog running off NEVER take him into the yard unless he's leashed.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I agree with the above posters. If you can't control him at home, keep him on a leash.

To add to what they said, you might try getting a really long lead and practice calling your dog back. Have him come, give him lots of love and treats, then release him again - so that he stops associating coming back to you with the end of play or punishment. Coming simply means treats and love, not going inside. Do that multiple times in a play session, always on a leash until he's more solid.

I can't really see any advantage to punishing your dog for this behavior, as much as you might want to. It will just reinforce his desire to stay away from you.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
:( Spooky is such a troublemaker!! We have no fence right now for our backyard and I would love to play with my dogs in the back but they are in their teens and lately all training has just vanished...sigh.
Spooky has so far on several occasions would just take off!! he will run down the street and completely ignore me...taking the advice of someone who has been seeing a dogtrainer, I would catch him and put Spooky in the crate. well, now Spooky learned that if he runs and I catch him, its crate time so catching him is now worse. that plan completely backfired, he won't even come close when I have his fav treat, turkey hotdogs. when i try to grab him he just jumps back. with him outside without him taking off, seems like he is the only dog in the neighborhood who run away. Wicket, his partner in crime is now doing the same thing. (and sometimes they run 4 houses up the road where my friend has a fenced yard with two dogs they sometimes play with...and I have to catch them) Any tips on keeping two dogs about a year/year and 6 months to STAY and come when I call?? the problem is also he LOVES to run and stalk...his mother was an australian shep and I believe this is where he gets his I gotta run run run from. I do take him for walks and let him run loose at the dog park at least once a week.

You keep them on a leash or a long line until you get a fence. To allow them to run loose is irresponsible, and could result in tragedy. Your dogs need to be trained, and the best way to achieve this is to enroll them in an obedience class where the trainer will teach you how to train your dog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts