Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My four year old english setter barks at everything....we live near a park and the yard is not fenced in. So a person walking by....dogs....the cat across the street that wanders around. Part of me can't blame him--I know part of it is his prey drive (cat,squirrels), and in other situations he just wants to say hello. But I would really like to help correct it without a bark collar. For example, allow him to bark but perhaps train him so that when I give a command he ceases barking?

I do say "leave-it", which is what we use for counter-surfing, items on tables...etc...and it takes me holding his collar calmly saying it repeadtedly for him to stop...even then he does this really sad whimper!

Any advice? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
First off, don't yell 'QUIET' if he's barking, he's going to assume that's you barking too. Teach him attention work, so he learns to ignore things around him and focus on you or the food. Then when he starts barking, call him, reward him for coming and then work that attention with him while the distraction is still there.

You can also go 'see' what it is and say in a normal voice something about it being totally fine. 'Oh a cat, that's fine' and even try yawning. Stand near him with the distraction and just remind him it's fine, give him some attention and just be relaxed around him and whatever it is he's barking at.

At the same time make sure he's getting lots of exercise and mental work so he's not doing it as his only source of entertainment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! He is very award driven so I will try that. Attention work is definitely where it is at with him. We figured out early on he is a smarty (he can open doors/opened a treat dispensing ball), so I am working on building a collection of thinking toys and games for him and play with him in the house as well has taking him on daily walks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts