Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have trained pups and dogs and while not an expert, I have had success, but now for the first time I will be introducing a new pup to the household and her new "brother" who is 5.5 years of age. My question concerns conducting the basic training with the new pup ie. should I include Kenji in the training or in have him in another room. My initial thought was to do it separately with Kenji in another room, but my concern is having him feel left out which is the last thing I want to do to come to resent the puppy. Appreciate any thoughts and experiences others here have had. thanks.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I do every combination I can think up. Separately, together, in sight of each other, behind closed doors and so on. So long as you train him as well there shouldn't be a problem. When I have one dog restrained and watching the training I will reward the watching dog for good behavior whether it is a momentary catch in breath while screaming the whole time or a lovely patient down.

They do object to new dog getting attention. 7 year old Ginger won't push an open door a couple of inches to go into a room but she actually scratched the closed door when it was 2 year old Bucky's turn to play clicker with me. She had a snazzy shaping session after that too. Alternately training dogs like that is a great way to get a good session going, they want the cookies the other dog is getting.

Dogs learn watching other dogs and it is so relaxing to get the snappy responses from a well trained dog after working with a baby dog. Doesn't have to be equal time/cookies or anything but do train him as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts