Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we just bought a nervous 2 year old german pointer. I have trained it to come in the house when on the lead and when off the lead......but when it comes when off the lead he doesnt come near enogh for me to put the lead on and instead runs away. he also doesnt seem to listen to me off the lead as he knows how to sit in the house and on the lead but when i say sit when hes off the lead he runs away also how can i train him to come to the door when hes finished running about outside????

·
Registered
85 Posts
One of my rescues was afraid of my husband when we got him. One of the things that worked for us to get him to come when my husband called was for my husband to call him while sitting on the floor. He would not directly face him and wouldn't make eye contact. He would also be holding a high-value treat the the dog could see and smell (piece of cheese, ham, chicken, etc). This can take awhile as he will probably walk up, get skittish and walk away then walk up again several times. Once he comes up to take it, give him the treat and lots of praise. When he is starting to get comfortable with that, then have the lead next to you when you have him come and gradually introduce that.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
How long have you had dog, because sometimes dogs that are not nervous take time to actually bond with a family/person. A nervous dog much more time needed.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Various Suggestions:
1. Say come with food... and look away. Most people stare at dogs and call them. It may make Nervous dogs more nervous.
2. What happens if you say Come, and run the other way ?
3. Say Come, Kneel, open your arms ( or leave them at your sides, if the dog seems scared of them), and look down.

Mix and match to get progress....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts