Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trained dog to speak/bark on command, but won't comply with "quiet" when ask

My dog learned "speak" in about a second--one of his favorite things! But now I'm trying to clicker train him "quiet" when he's barking (e.g., when someone is at door, or even after I ask him to speak). He just won't do the quiet. Wants to keep barking!

He gets really wound up and happy when I give him the speak command, jumping on me, etc. Is there a way to get his attention (other than cue, click, treat) so that he settles down and complies?

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Re: Trained dog to speak/bark on command, but won't comply with "quiet" when ask

Wait him out.

During a training session - ask for speak/click/treat..
Then knock on the wall or something to cue a speak you didn't directly ask for. Put a finger to your mouth and wait like that - when he's quiet for 3 seconds, click-treat.
Repeat.

You can try to get his attention by holding a treat in front of his nose to direct him to look at you while you're other hand is holding a finger to your mouth. Wait him out again, when he's quiet for 3 seconds or longer (extend the criteria after a few reps) then click/treat.

You'll be able to add a verbal cue after a little while in the same way, but I found it easiest to start with a signal that made my dog look to me when he heard sounds that got him barking.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Trained dog to speak/bark on command, but won't comply with "quiet" when ask

Thanks! I tried the "knock on the wall" fakeout, but he caught on that it was me. It worked better when my friend actually knocked on the door.

I like the idea of holding the treat right in front of his nose--I hadn't thought of that.

What most helped me, eventually, was following the advice on a youtube tutorial, that it is classic conditioning, so you *ALWAYS* have to reward for proper "quiet." It seems to be better now.

Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts