Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 11 year old schnoodle and we're moving from a home with a large yard to a condo with no yard. Is there a way we can train him not to bark whenever someone walks by (typical terrier yapping) and learn to pee on paper or pad rather than on grass. He's not good at getting out of his comfort zone. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I personally wouldn't train him *not* to bark because alert barking is something most dogs just do. As an alternative though, you could train him how many barks is acceptable.
For example, if someones walking passed the house or comes to your door and knocks, you can reward barking 3 times and use a word to signal him to stop.

My dog began barking everytime he heard someone walk through the hallway, and we live in an apartment so you can imagine how awful that would have turned out. We would begin to pet him and calm him after he barked 3 times and we would say "good boy, all done" and reward him. Dogs bark, it's a fact, it's what they do, and personally I wouldn't want to teach my dog not to. But teaching what IS acceptable is easier then changing the entire behaviour all together, so I would suggest trying that.

I'm also just wondering why you want your dog to use a pee pad or paper instead of going outside?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, the barking thing makes perfect sense.

This is actually my daughter's dog, she works about 35 hours a week and her hours are different everyday. She would not have a backyard and her dog is used to going outside whenever he wants.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Could she crate him while she's at work and just make sure to take him for a good walk in the morning to relieve himself, eat, and then crate til she's home and take him out for another walk and to eat? Dog's won't go to the bathroom in their crates.
We've had to crate my dog for lengthy periods of time on occasion and as long as we take him for a walk before we leave and again when we get home, he's fine.
The crate may be an adjustment at first (barking, whining) but it'll get used to it and learn that it's not *that* bad.
Try to associate the crate with good things by giving peanut butter filled kongs to work on when they go in the crate and by leaving it open during the day when you're home so that he can go in freely, reward if you see the dog go in the crate, and don't use the crate to punish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts