Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks- any advice on getting my dog to poop in one area of the yard instead of all over, anyplace he wants to squat? we have a kinda large fenced in back yard, and my son's poop scooping would be so much easier if we could get Beemer to choose an area and dump there!

He is a PRT, 2 1/2 yrs old, and actually very easy to train and teach tricks to! and he's awfully cute too, the li'l poop machine...

thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Firstly, start by taking him out on leash. Go to the same area every time, and stand there and ignore him - don't follow him around, don't talk to him - just stand there and wait.

As soon as he starts to go, say "Get busy" or whatever your cue is to eliminate - and I do recommend having one, it makes life SO much nicer when it's nasty out :p) AS HE IS GOING. When he's done? Unsnap the leash and have a party. Throw the ball, give him some treats, go for a walk - whatever he likes best. But he doesn't get that until AFTER he's gone- and when he's gone, you don't go right back inside. Even if you only play for 3 minutes, you DO play.

After a few days of this (anywhere from 3 days to two weeks, IME - if you do this for EVERY SINGLE potty break, including before walks, it'll go a LOT faster), he'll start getting the idea that he has to potty before the fun can start. At that point, start using the cue as soon as you start to see him squat or lift a leg. Keep him on leash, though. If you say it and he stops and goes "Okay, party time!" ignore him and go back to saying it DURING the act for a few more days.

It can help if you want to put up a little fence or something to make the area very clear. If you do this, once he's doing it reliably on cue, take him to the fenced area, put him in, give your cue, and then have your party. After he's doing that, go there, unsnap the leash, give cue, etc. Do it in stages - the very last step will be to wlak out with him off leash to the potty area, give him the cue, and have him eliminate there before he goes off anywhere else.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The usual method is to provide visual cues as to where the potty area is (ie; roped off section) or an area with different texture (sand/gravel). Both approaches mean that you have to take them out on leash to that area until they understand.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what great advice- thanks so much! i will try this. the problem is that it takes awhile for him to "get busy" which IS the command, so it will take a lot of patience on my part... thank you!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't know if this will work with an adult dog but it worked with my puppy. Leave a few numbers out there and it will feel comfortable going where others are. My vet told me to do this and I was surprised it works. She always goes on the side of my house within a 15-20 square ft area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts