Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 year old Shih Tzu, bought her 2 weeks ago. But her previous owner fed her by hand, now she wont eat unless I feed her also by hand.

And whenever I give her milk, she want to drink it on my hand instead of using her bowl.

Help please!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I wouldn't feed a dog milk. They're lactose intolerant, it will cause stomach upset

As for the hand feeding, try what I did with my dog: feed her by hand, but move your hand closer and closer to the bowl each time, till you are resting your hand in the bowl, then remove your hand, but keep it touching the bowl, then move slowly back. This took about 2 weeks to do, not all in one feeding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yikes. Good thing I fed her milk just once.

I tried doing what you've just suggested the first time I got her, but on the second day she'd rather not eat than eat her food in the bowl..

·
Registered
394 Posts
Have you tried coating the bottom of the bowl with something tasty like, chicken broth, juice from tuna/sardines, etc? Maybe try that without the food, then slowly add food.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Feed half in your hand, half in the bowl. Then 1/4 in your hand, 3/4 in the bowl.

I have never known a dog to starve more than a couple of days when there's a bowl of food in front of them. It's all about motivation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts