Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start training my pup for tracking, well I started about two weeks ago dropping treats here and there and telling my pup to "Find It" and after some sniffing she dose. But I'm about to take it outside and I an not sure how to lay a good trail to start with. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I don't know how the professionals do it, but this is how we worked.

We played "find it" with chicken or liver, so Jaia knew it was REALLY worth finding and then I hid it when he couldn't see me. Then I gave the command. We got to the point where I could throw it really far and he would still find it.

Then we used a favorite toy and treated him when he returned it to me, giving him the idea that I wanted him to bring me what he found. (I don't know if that's how they do it in the field)

Once Jaia could find stuff that I had hidden without him watching (including the toy), I did a scented cloth test, where I scented two cloths, hid one and use the other for him to get the scent.

Here's a video of Jaia's "Find it" and then one of Jaia's first scent trial. (I was really excited he did so well!)

We're not doing it with a class or instructor, so if that's what you want, don't follow my advice. :D

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Tracking is following a human scent....the footsteps where someone has walked.
Trailing is different that Tracking....following a scented dummy that has been dragged...used for hunting dogs...following a downed bird for example.
To see if the dog is really following the trail, the tracks for both Tracking and Trailing are marked at various spots/turns, etc.
In both, the dog often works downwind/to the side of the laid track.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am taking a tracking class this summer with Pickles and have had a hard time finding advice about this one too. I really don't know a thing about it yet. I'm really excited though. I hope that this will be a good fit for her since agility, flyball, and obedience are not really her thing:rolleyes:

·
Registered
125 Posts
We are in the middle of training tracking now. The best thing to do is have a helper set the trail, treats should be used quite a bit in the beginning, we started with a treat every 2 steps. and the person who is setting the track should also put flags on the track every 10-20 steps (eventually further apart) with an article that has their scent all over it. When the dog finds the person I click and give a JACKPOT reward (5-10 pieces of liver) Cricket is doing well enough with tracking now that the track only has 2-3 treats and a couple of articles so mainly she is searching for the persons scent by smelling the person before they hide. When she is released to search she gets very excited because she knows when she does her job well she gets a jackpot reward. Just like any training you slowly fade the lure and don't expect to much at one time. Set small tracks to begin with and don't have your helper hide in a place hard for the pup to find. How old is your pup?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all real good info, O and Jaia looks like she love that game! I think that Winny and me are going to have some fun with this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts