Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am teaching Hawkeye how to track. and so far he has been doing good at it. I laid a track a couple days ago that is about 150-200 yards long and he got it really fast! here is the video description

"This is my 11 month old Australian Shepherd Hawkeye. I have been training him for tracking and I laid out a 150-200 yard track and recorded our practice. Ignore the huffing and puffing I am a little out of shape and I was running after him a lot to keep up lol, also explains why the camera work is very jostled.

I laid the track about 10 minutes before so it was still very fresh. Each pole that I pass represents the place where I made a turn"

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't even know the first thing about SAR work except what it stands for lol (search and Rescue)

thats cool, how do you teach a dog to track something!!!
Well with him I started with only 10 foot tracks.

I would first drag the glove accross the ground and put treats on the ground once in a while and then his job as to follow the "trail of bread crums" so to speak. He would then get a big treat out of the glove when he reached it. after about three times I took out the trail of treats and only left treats in the glove.

and then I gradualy put the glove farther away so he had to follow my scent to find it. I started training him in February of this year.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Pretty much what you have done there actually. To get a dog to lead you to the target.

I am in SAR training and have been running my dogs just like that for about 5 months now. We use human placement, Cadaver placement, and narcotics. (so far) You are doing exactly what we are doing. I think he would be a wonderful addition to a search team somewhere :)

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
They sure do! This is the team we belong to.
http://helpsar.bravehost.com/

Not the best website in the world but one of the members is working on that.

Google NASAR groups in your area. Check with your local law enforcement and firehouses for more information.

There are groups out there with standard black and white procedures that dont allow newcomers without and background training..and then there are some like the one I am with that has an open mind and dont judge a dog by its breed or stature to get the job done.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got a reply back from a lady who is putting together a SAR class about a half an hour from my house. I told her I would like to stop by and check it out but now I'm waiting for a reply.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Great Job Keechak! I so want to do that with my dogs too. Don't know if I have the right dogs for the job at this time but I would love to try it. Very impressive Hawk!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
We should push Linda to get a tracking class going at Kennel Club
Keechak, I have been for some time now. Maybe if more of us start whining it will do more good. My guess, Xeph would be in as well. Michael and I have already asked.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts