Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend toys that will last for chewers? My puppy is 4.5 months old and, as any puppy, he likes to chew on his toys. The problem is that he has destroyed quite a few of the toys we have purchased, especially the stuffed animal toys, which he really loves! He sleeps with them and carries them around in his mouth all of the time. I feel bad that he now has none of them left but once he chews through them he chews on the stuffing and I'm afraid he will swallow it. Any recommendations for long-lasting stuffed toys? We have nyla-bones, bully sticks and regular bones and he likes those too but not as much as the stuffed toys.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Really depends on HOW destructive your boy is. My guy can and will destroy ANY stuffed toy, even none stuffed toys. But there are a variety of tougher stuffed toys that might be durable enough for your guy. The stuffed toy that lasted the longest for us was one of the strongest rated from Tuffies who are apparently having a big sale right now as I see from googling to make sure I spelled it right haha.

For my power chewer he only gets nylabones in multiple varieties, antlers, and the occasional bully stick (12' gone in 15 minutes = waste of money but nice treat). He also has a kong wubba (which MIGHT be tough enough for your boy) that we play fetch and tug with but is put away when I'm not there to play with it with him. Left alone he'd destroy it.

With a puppy that age he'll HAVE to have things to chew on, my guy is 4 years old and likes to chew but isn't compelled to like a puppy is so I can get away with having less.

Edit: oh and do a search on this forum and you'll find tons of similar threads with lots more recommended toys.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I get my pup the soft toys with no stuffing - Kong makes a few, and there are ones "as seen on t.v" not sure what they are called but they are great, and kong also has their cozies - which was more tuff than a regular stuffy - took loki about 2 weeks of play to put a hole in it, where as regular ones are done in minutes -- stuffing everywhere. Tuffies are great also, we have one but Loki is uninterested mot of the time.... hes a picky puppy.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Oliver is a mega chewer. He destroys most toys very quickly. The best thing I have found is antlers. He loves them and while they are pricey they last a long time.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The black rubber kong is as tough as and has the advantage in that you can stuff it with food and freeze it so your pup has something to work on before he gets to chew. A much cheaper toy is a 12" length of heavy duty polly water pipe ( see your hardware store) It will last a fair while. Ask your neighbours if you can have the black plastic pots that plants come in from the nursery. They are free and give the pup a lot of fun.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, everyone. Got as seen on tv toy and he hasn't destroyed it yet! Looking to get a few more things tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I never got antlers because they are so expensive, but I found a little one on the ranch and decided it wasn't worth keeping so I gave it to Kodi as a test trial. It is just a little one with maybe a 6 inch fork. Kodi took to chewing on one point and after the first day had only about 4 inches chewed off, that last inch has taken him 2 more full days to finish. (I think my dog is OCD, he wont start on a different end until he finishes that little nob. ) Three days later and we still have a good 10 inches of horn for him to chew.

Antlers ROCK!!

We also got him a black Kong a size too big. He has dented it, but hasn't chewed through it yet and he has had it for quite awhile. If you try you can shove a large milk bone in our sized one and he has a heck of a time trying to get it out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 6 mos. old GSD and she also has one of those black kongs. I stuff it with little dog bisquits dipped in peanut butter. She loves it! And it keeps her busy for awhile. But her all time favorite thing to play with are the 2 liter plastic bottles(with out the cap of course) You can even put treats in those too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts