Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new rescue hasn't shown much interest in normal toys. Ropes, tennis balls, and squeaky toys are a no-go. Not interested.

Her old foster gave me a homemade 'brain game", where I can put treats in bottles on a bar, which she spins and get the treats out of. It's a little hard to explain. She also has a Kong, but she loses interest in it if the treats are too difficult to get out (and she doesn't seem to like peanut butter).

I'm going to get her some bones, but I'd like to think of some other toys/ways to occupy her that maybe involve a little less snacks (she is on a d-i-e-t) and don't take her only 10 seconds to figure out. Any ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'd like to add that she is not NEW new - I've had her for a month - so it's probably not her being anxious that is keeping her from playing with the other toys I've bought. I think she's just not into them.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Is she an adult dog? It can take much longer than a month for an adult dog to fully decompress in a new home. I would assume after 2 months, if she isn't an anxious dog in general, that you are seeing most of her true personality, and her full personality within 4-6 months. Even if she is young, having her for one month is still, in my book, NEW new.

There is an online class with the Fenzi Dog Sports Academy about adding value to toys to increase toy drive, if that's something you're interested in.

Next, I'd like to caution against buying her cooked bones. Most of these aren't all that safe, and if you are purchasing from a chain store (or even local) they may have questionable origins (think sourced from China) and/or chemicals and preservatives. Raw bones are a safer alternative, or chews like bully sticks, beef tracheas, beef tendons, etc. Natural, non-bone chews/treats.

There are also a lot of puzzle games/bowls that you could feed her her entire meals out of to occupy some of her time. Overall, I'd recommend trick/obedience training and daily walks/hikes to stimulate her. Other than that, a dog doesn't need to be stimulated 24/7, so she should be fine. My dogs get 2 30 minute walks a day (sometimes around the neighborhood, sometimes on trails), 1-2 hikes a week, and usually 2 or 3 5-10 minute training sessions a day. A few days a week they get a raw meaty bone that takes them 30 minutes to an hour to go through. This level of activity is typically enough to keep them sane and calm in the house.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts