Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My newly adopted 3 year old toy chi doesn't like treats and doesn't seem to want to play with toys (if he even understands what it is). I've tried so many different kinds of toys and treats and nothing. The treats would help so much in teaching him things and the toys would help with keeping him entertained. Ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
948 Posts
In my experience, all dogs like treats, but they aren't always interested in getting a treat. Have you tried chicken? Cheese? Bacon?

A dog won't take a treat if it's too distracted, excited or anxious for the treat being offered. Or ill.

How long have you had him?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He took a piece of doggie bacon a couple times, turkey balogna meat seems to always work through - but it's probably not healthy. Other than that, nothing. This is day 4

·
Registered
948 Posts
You mean those purina bacon treats? my dogs LOVE those, but I only use 'em when I run out of chicken. I boil a chicken for treats, healthier and way less expensive.

Your dog is probably still going through some adjustment anxiety, new home and all that. If he came from a shelter, that kind of life can be tough on a dog. How is getting along otherwise?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Mumble wasn't interested in toys (and not too much interest in food or treats either) at all for the first two weeks we had him. After he adjusted to his new home he became all about toys, and started eating more as well as working for treats.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dusty - The beggin strips, yeah. He'll have a bite or two of it (if he hasn't had it too recently). He actually voluntarily ate dry dog food for the first time today so I'm pretty happy about that :) it was only a couple bites but progress is always encouraging. He was from a shelter, yeah - was there for 2 weeks before I met him.

Avery - Mumbles is a gorgeous lookin' doggie :) did he move his head away from toys when you tried to bring some near?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Thank you. :)

Yeah, he didn't really get what we were going for. I wouldn't stick it in his face or anything, but I would offer a toy to him, and he might sniff it before turning away. I would also drag them around in front of him and he was just bored as hell with it.

I just gave it some time, I figured he was adjusting. He was still coming out of his shell in a lot of ways (as I mentioned earlier, he gradually began eating more, he also warmed up to certain people and places). Even now, two months later, he's still presenting new behaviors now and then.

Do you have a few different types of toys for her? We had a plush squeaky, a rope bone, and tennis balls. He likes some more than others. He still doesn't really care about the rope bone. One of the first ones he kinda played with was the plush squeaky toy, we tied it on a string and dragged it around while we ran. Even though he was interested and chased a bit, he was still uncertain. After we had him about a week we got him a nylabone, which I think he liked because it was chicken flavored.

What's more, Mumble came from his breeder's home, where he was played with all the time. Your pup is coming from a shelter which is even more change.

I really think this is just something you need to wait on. Offer play now and then, but don't push it. I think she'll warm up. :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
My rescued Pit Bull had no interest in toys or treats for months. Be patient. Eventually your new family member will tell you what he enjoys.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
The best treats don't come from the pet store. Try string cheese, baked/boiled/steamed organ meats (heart and liver are great), hot dogs, or do a search for "salmon treat recipe". If none of that works, I'll eat my hat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts