Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our dogs really share their toys. They each have their favorites, and they have some that each seem to like equally. We have a toy box. They are free to wander to the box and pick out what they want to play with. Sometimes, they bring toys to us for us to play with them. Sometimes they choose a toy they want to play with by themselves, just sit and chew on, or whatever.

A couple weeks ago, we got some new toys for Abby's birthday. They aren't meant to be just for her, as we know they pretty much share everything, anyway.
Well, one of the new ones was a "stuffing free" guys, a fox, that Abby seems to think is hers and hers alone. If Harper walks by when she has it, she will freak out. She growls and pounces on him, starting a fight. If she comes into the room and Harper has the fox, she will do the same thing.

So, I put the fox away for a few days. Then, I got a second fox, thinking they could each have one, and she would be ok with that, as long as she could have hers. Nope, big mistake. She just wants control of both.

As of now, both foxes are in the closet. Each time she attacked Harper, I was able to get to them in seconds, and pull her off. Then, I put her outside for 1-2 minutes or so. When let back in, she'd seem pretty timid and would lick me, and kind of slowly approach Harper and lick him as well.

She's not aggressive in any other way, really. She doesn't guard food. She doesn't guard people. She does play pretty hard sometimes, and we monitor their play so we can step in if she gets too crazy, but she's never mean.

I don't have any plans of bringing the foxes back. But, is there anything else I should be worried about? She doesn't have issues with any of their other toys. Sometimes they play keep away, and sometimes they try to steal each other's toys, but it's never in a mean or possessive way, and it never causes problems.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
But, is there anything else I should be worried about?
Got to take a wait and see attitude, if it ain't broke you can't fix it. That fox thing is curious.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I probably should have said there have been a few other toys over the past couple years that we have had to take away as well. But, it was way worse with the dang fox. She willingly shares the majority of their toys.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Thanks! I probably should have said there have been a few other toys over the past couple years that we have had to take away as well. But, it was way worse with the dang fox. She willingly shares the majority of their toys.
Oh! Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Clearly, she does resource guard, she's just really specific about it. Since she doesn't resource guard every toy, I'd just toss the ones she does.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clearly, she does resource guard, she's just really specific about it. Since she doesn't resource guard every toy, I'd just toss the ones she does.
That's the plan, and we'll make sure to supervise them and make sure there is nothing else we've missed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts