Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
My DD was attracted to the looks of mini aussies so she did a lot of research into the breed. And we couldn't really find any reputable breeder that would suggest a mini aussie breeder that they knew. There are many people breeding them, and are responsible breeders of some other breeds, but it is not highly recommended to get a mini from them. Most of the info we found looked like breeders are either breeding runt to runt (so that they can claim their lines are "pure" aussie, adn runt to runt is a BAD thing to do) or they are using a small breed dog like the paps to get the size down to "toy" standards, so those are not pure aussies. Apparently one person in our dog club did a DNA test on a mini aussie in the group (the owner was convinced that it was sold to him as pure aussie) and found not only papillon but sheltie in the mix.
That's interesting.... on another forum we're having this same discussion and I mentioned many toy/mini aussies look a whole lot like the two pap/sheltie mixes I know. Hm...

21 - 21 of 21 Posts