Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I posted here a few times when I first rescued my red-nose pitbull, Goose. I have since trained him very well. He now had good manners around people, he will sit and wait patiently for food and toys, and is super affectionate with everyone.

Today when I got home from work, I fed him, took him for a walk, and gave him his kong to play with (with treats inside) as I normally do. About 30 minutes later, I approached him to take the kong away and put him in his crate for a few minutes while I showered, he started growling and baring his teeth at me. He even snapped at my hand a few times. He has NEVER EVER done this before. When he was younger, he used to growl and bark playfully when he wanted attention, but I trained him out of that a long time ago. He would never do anything like this. I even did lots of food and toy guarding training when he was younger to prevent this. He has always obeyed commands to get treats, toys and food. Even tonight he had to sit and wait patiently for his kong. I was able to use an alpha roll (I know that you're not supposed to do that, and I almost never use it, but he responds well to them) and take his kong away, and he immediately settled down.

I have no idea what brought this on. Goose has never showed any signs of aggression towards anyone.

Does anyone have any idea what could have suddenly caused this? I know dogs develop issues, but this seemed like a fairly serious switch....to go from absolutely docile and sweet with every human, to snapping and growling over a toy. Is it limited to guarding? Should I watch out for aggression in other aspects of his behavior? Like I said, I rescued him so I don't know what happened to him before I got him, but he's never showed any signs of aggression with me.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Lucas

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Part of your problem is taking things away from him. You said you did the food and toy guarding training where he is supposed to give it to you.....willingly.....why have you gone back to taking it from him?
The 2nd part is the Alpha rolls....teaching him that force is the way things are done... not really something you want to teach him....that's why he went on the defensive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts