Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello world! I am looking for advice on how to handle a situation and I hope someone can help! We have two dogs, an 11-month-old amstaff-lab mix and a 7 year old siberian husky. Both are well mannered and friendly most of the time. However, sometimes they get into fights, usually when playing with a new toy, and it is completely unpredictable because most of the time they are absolutely fine. The husky has also had issues that are nearly identical with other dogs. Does anyone know what could be going on here? We cannot allow our young dog to remain out of her crate while we are gone because we fear for her safety. Looking for insight!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Sounds like resource guarding, with toys as the resource being guarded. While working with a good, positive based trainer is the best option (absolutely NO electronic collar stuff, as that will typically escalate aggression), this book Mine! - A Practical Guide To Resource Guarding In Dogs is frequently recommended to help begin dealing with it. Meanwhile, nothing the Sibe might consider a resource should be left out, and both dogs crated or otherwise separated when you aren't there. When you are home, only allow toys and high value chews and the like when the dogs are separated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts