Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that avocados are toxic to dogs -- but it's often in dog food (e.g. Avoderm!). Why would it be an ingredient in dog food if it's toxic? I've also read in some places that mushrooms are -- but is that only so that people won't let their dogs eat wild mushrooms which COULD be toxic? Are mushrooms that we buy at the store and eat ok?

Those are two very commonly eaten foods in our house, and Hamilton has sucked down dropped pieces of both in the past. Obviously I'm not trying to feed my dog a diet of avocados and mushrooms, but how big of a concern should it be if he nabs pieces? I'm a really messy cook. :|

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I use www.peteducation.com and put toxic food in the search bar. I never feed any of the things on their list. I would rather be safe than sorry. There is also a toxic plant list you can search for on this site ... all articles are printable also. I keep the printed lists on my fridge.

I find it extremely odd that garlic and rosemary are both also used in dog foods!???? :/

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm.. for avocado it says "The leaves, seeds, fruit, and bark contain persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea." But isn't Avoderm's selling point (and uhm.. name?) the fact that it contains healthy fats from avocado? Does not compute!

For mushrooms it says "Can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death" which leads me to believe they are referring to unknown mushrooms -- because mushrooms I buy at the grocery store most certainly do NOT contain toxins!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Hm.. for avocado it says "The leaves, seeds, fruit, and bark contain persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea." But isn't Avoderm's selling point (and uhm.. name?) the fact that it contains healthy fats from avocado? Does not compute!

For mushrooms it says "Can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death" which leads me to believe they are referring to unknown mushrooms -- because mushrooms I buy at the grocery store most certainly do NOT contain toxins!
You've got me!? ... maybe in such small quantities? ... but what about long term use and build up of these things in a dogs system? I hope someone else has a really educated answer. It is bothersome when you think too much on it.

But ... just like garlic ... my childhood terrier lived to be 17 years old and ate people food ... including all the no-no stuff his entire life ... never ate dog food at all ... he flat out starved himself first.... no answer to that one either! .... :/ Today if you did that it would be a possible death sentence ... especially the garlic, chocolate, and onions.

·
Registered
891 Posts
We had an avocado tree in our old backyard so I discussed avocado toxicity with my vet and he said that it's not that avocados are toxic but that the fat, if over consumed, can result in pancreatitis. I also read that there aren't any studies that actually show that avocados are toxic.

·
Banned
57 Posts
A dog need to eat large amounts of garlic for it to be dangerous. Garlic is put together with onion on various sites that list "dangerous" foods. Chemically garlic isn't even in the same ballpark as onion and shouldn't be mentioned together. Onion is dangerous, garlic not so much.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
If you check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com and search for Avoderm in the reviews, it questions the use of avocados in their dog food in some of the formulas.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Some parts of the avocado plant contain more of the poisonous substance, persin, than others. You don't eat tomato leaves but the flesh of the ripe fruit is fine. Same with avocados, don't eat the pits, peels and leaves but eat the flesh. Perhaps it is an important caution for people with avocado trees in their yards?

There are reports of poisoning. http://www.cbif.gc.ca/pls/pp/ppack.info?p_psn=238&p_type=all&p_sci=comm&p_x=px
And a study into one substance.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/nt.2620030504/abstract;jsessionid=3CE16395DDBD715A211F082F9F6BBD55.d03t03

The members of the onion family also have a substance that is poisonous to dogs. Onions have far more than garlic but there is a little in garlic.

Rosemary can be a trigger for seizures in seizure prone dogs but is otherwise just fine. I don't know why it is just rosemary that gets this label as there must be lots of other common food seizure triggers known.

Most foods have some poisonous element to them. Too much water can kill. Apple seeds are poisonous in large amounts. Tapioca is a much washed starch made from a poisonous plant. Lots of plants in the legume family are toxic but the family also contains some of our most valuable foods.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Here is what Dog Food Advisor's Avoderm review says about avocado in dog foods.

"Supporters claim the ingredient to be nutrient rich and beneficial to a dog’s skin and coat… while others worry over what are mostly unsubstantiated concerns over potential toxicity.

These fears appear to originate from a 1984 study in which goats (not dogs) consumed the leaves (not the fruit) of the Guatemalan (not the Mexican) avocado… and became sick.2

Based upon our own review of the literature, it is our opinion that the anxiety over avocado ingredients in dog food (in reasonable amounts, of course) is probably unjustified."

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Avoderm doesn't use those parts of the avocado. The parts that humans eat is not the fruit, its the fleshy cover of the fruit (which is inside the pit/is the pit). Much like we don't eat the fruit part of an apple, which are the seeds (those contain cyanide). We also don't eat juveniles, which contain way more toxins then the ripe "adults". Avocados do have lots of healthy fat in them, and that can be trouble in large quantities.

Garlic is no where near as toxic as onions are, you would need to feed a ton of it for it to do anything to a dog.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Avoderm doesn't use those parts of the avocado. The parts that humans eat is not the fruit, its the fleshy cover of the fruit (which is inside the pit/is the pit). Much like we don't eat the fruit part of an apple, which are the seeds (those contain cyanide). We also don't eat juveniles, which contain way more toxins then the ripe "adults". Avocados do have lots of healthy fat in them, and that can be trouble in large quantities.
Just out of curiosity, where is your definition of 'fruit' coming from? I'd never heard this before so I had to look it up and dictionary.com distinguishes between fruit and seeds, the fruit being the "the edible part of a plant" or "the fleshy part of a plant." http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fruit?s=t

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
i have long thought about this whole thing..... i e-mailed avoderm on more than one occation asking them about the toxicity of avocados in relation to their food and what their standings were on it.... they NEVER replied. that told me all i needed to know about the company so i do not suggest the food to anyone since they cant be bothered to replies to consumers concerns...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts