Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i was wondering if anyone had an idea of what would be the best chewtoy for my dog,shes a pit and super strong with her jaws,shes already completly destroyed2 kongs and her 3 is almost dead. does anyone know of something that could work better???
all we can buy are those ones that you buy at the dollar store she chews in seconds, even those extreme rope things!!! please any advice would be much appreciated :)

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Do a Google search for Nylabones. We have used the blue ones with little nubs,look for the ones for powerful chewers. Also, give the dog some marrow bones to eat. You can find them at the supermarket and pet stores that have freezers.

·
Registered
11,340 Posts
Goughnuts

The "Extreme" line of Kongs; buy one size up from her weight size. I have a black kong that has survived the chewing of ridgeback and a pit bull; previous black Kong was retired when parts of it started to get chewed off near the opening, it lasted about a year.

Rope isn't really a chew toy, not safe for that, but more of a tug and fetch toy for supervised use.

Nylabone XLarge Dog durachews

Raw bones are great, just make sure you watch that the dog gnaws on them rather than chomping straight down and maybe breaking a tooth.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I agree with antlers and nylabones being good for power chewers. Though for the nylabones I'd advise against the ones with the red bumps, they are two pieces pressed together and my boy destroyed his in a few hours of chewing. The red bumps started popping out from his chewing with in minutes of giving it to him. He liked it but it was gone to fast to be worth it. I've had no issues with any of the other nylabone chews I've bought though.

·
Banned
964 Posts
My Rottie is an Extreme Chewer...

The Kong Black Bone was chewed to pieces in about an hour...(thats their strongest toy)
Antlers are good for a few hours at best (they are also really small and Expensive ).
Large Rawhide bone lasts a full day..(thats a lot of rawhide to eat..not good)
Forget about Rope Toys and Nylabones...

Kong Toys and Antlers and Nylabones would last for years with my other dogs..
but..
The strongest Chew Toy for an Extreme Chewer is a Thick Marrow Bone , theyre inexpensive and last the longest.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
For us, the longest-lasting chews have been the Nylabone Dura Chew line, and make sure you get the right size I second what Dagwall said about the Nylabones with red bumps though. They're called "Dura Chew" but that is a lie! They come apart. You want the kind that's hard solid plastic. Biscuit especially likes the ring-shaped one and the bacon-flavored one that's shaped like a femur bone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
are antlers dangerous to chew? they look like they could splinter.

I've only seen them in PetCo. the antlers are shrink-wrapped and seem dry.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
are antlers dangerous to chew? they look like they could splinter.

I've only seen them in PetCo. the antlers are shrink-wrapped and seem dry.
They dry out naturally (they aren't cooked) and don't splinter. Actually, when a dog chews on one they actually grind off kind of a powder. It's hard to explain but not harmful in any way. They make really nice, safe chews.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
They dry out naturally (they aren't cooked) and don't splinter. Actually, when a dog chews on one they actually grind off kind of a powder. It's hard to explain but not harmful in any way. They make really nice, safe chews.
Agree, but will add that some antlers are better/longer lasting than others. I think maybe it has to do with freshness. I've had better luck with the ones from Amazon than the ones in the pet store (haven't tried the Petco kind). They should feel sort of heavy for their size.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Another vote for the Goughnuts, those things are awesome. Antlers are great too, but I have had some that splintered so you have to be careful. They were lighter than the rest we've had, and most certainly splintered. Could even describe what happened to them as shattered. We've had others that have lasted us a year now.

Another vote against the Nylabones with the red bumps. In a matter of hours, ours was destroyed. I have no clue what marketing genius there thought a hollow bone was for powerful chewers, but they are garbage.

Another thing to look at are the Orbee balls made by Planet Dog. Those things take a beating (the ones with the continents are my least favorite, the continents peel off). When it is time to retire them, you can send them back to Planet Dog and they will recycle them to make more toys - pretty cool. If you play tug, the fire hose tugs hold up pretty well for us, as do jute or french linen tugs.

edit to add note about antlers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nylabones are great but I just got a ball from a place online that is tough as nails. Its called a jive and its made by west paw design. My German Shepherd ate one of the aluminum rungs on my parents fence. I got it from www.greeniepaw.com and had a promo code for 15%off code is: GB15. Its advertised as indestructible and if your dog can destroy it then you get a free replacement or your money back. Dante has been chewing on this thing and there is no teeth marks on it at all. Its probably the toughest thing I have seen. Hope this helps. My fiance posted the pic on their fan page

1 - 14 of 14 Posts