Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a fairly big lab (80-90lbs) that destroys about every toy I have given him. He's well behaved and doesn't chew up anything else besides his toys, but most everything I give him doesn't even last him a week. I've even given him a big horse Jollyball and he managed to eventually chew the handle off it.

I recently bought him one of these only larger and with red rubber rather than blue. The tag claimed it it was "durable". It took him about 3-4 days to destroy it (he really loved it while he had it though!).

I also recently got him a Petco brand rubbery bone (I can't find it on their website though). The tag also claimed it was "indestructible". He had one of the ends chewed off within one day.

I bought him a big black Kong at some point, but he really didn't like it much unless I put some sort of treat/food inside it. He either didn't like it because he couldn't destroy it, or because it's too fat/round for him to really grasp between his forelegs/paws (he likes to hold his toys like this).

He really loves soft plush toys, but they last him all of thirty minutes if that. Ropes are also something he likes and they seem to last him a little longer, but not much. Does anyone know of some tougher rope-type toys?
Truly tough rubber toys that aren't destroyed within a week would be great too, especially longer/thinner ones that he can hold how he likes.
Cheaper price is appreciated too.

I also came across Zogoflex toys. The website says they will refund you if your dog can actually destroy it. Has anyone actually used them? The "Hurley" looks like something he might like due to the shape of it, but I'm not sure if they're really as tough as they say they are.

I really love getting him toys because he likes them so much, but it gets discouraging when he destroys them within days after I've paid $10-$25 for them. :(

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Hmmm.... tough one. I don't have a large breed myself, but I know my aunt's Pit and grandma's Lab can destory things REALLY fast so they feel your pain, lol. Kong has other toys besides the classic ones, but I don't know if those would work? Petsmart & Petco have them. What about Nylabone? I've seen some really big sturdy Nylabones, our neighbors on the farm give their Black Labs. But I've heard 50/50 things about them because if a dog gets too many big pieces from the Nylabone, it can get stuck, etc. I'm really no help but wanted to wish you luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm.... tough one. I don't have a large breed myself, but I know my aunt's Pit and grandma's Lab can destory things REALLY fast so they feel your pain, lol. Kong has other toys besides the classic ones, but I don't know if those would work? Petsmart & Petco have them. What about Nylabone? I've seen some really big sturdy Nylabones, our neighbors on the farm give their Black Labs. But I've heard 50/50 things about them because if a dog gets too many big pieces from the Nylabone, it can get stuck, etc. I'm really no help but wanted to wish you luck.
I could only find a Kong ball, the classic Kong, Extreme Kong, and puppy Kongs (obviously useless for him) at my Petsmart. I got them one of the Kong balls at one point, but they lost it pretty quickly because of how much it rolled around (I'm sure it's around here shoved under a table or bed or something).
I looked at the Dental Stick and the Goodie Bone but the ridges in the dental stick and holes in the bone seem like it would make them easier to rip up.

And yeah, with the Nylabones, I looked at them and they seem to be almost like hard plastic. It just seemed like they'd be able to break off a sharp piece and swallow it/hurt themself with it somehow.

·
Registered
60 Posts
nylabones are plastic but are nylon you cant "break" off a piece of it, the dog might dig its teeth into it and leave marks but it won't break off and shear into a sharp piece.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nylabones are plastic but are nylon you cant "break" off a piece of it, the dog might dig its teeth into it and leave marks but it won't break off and shear into a sharp piece.
I did not know this! Thanks.
I know I've seen them at my Petsmart, I'll have to look into them.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
If he likes stuffies, you could always try skinneez. They are stuffies without the stuffing and seem quite durable. On average one lasts us 2-4 months and that's with daily playing by my two girls (tugging, chewing, fetching, etc.)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I did not know this! Thanks.
I know I've seen them at my Petsmart, I'll have to look into them.
just dont get the liver flavors they seem to not care at all about them, I have a white one she got bored of it in hours won't even touch it

a couple of things I have an American bulldog she destroys almost everything

a few things-that have lasted a while

1) tug of war rope with knots - about a month still good
2) treat ball by kong- 4 weeks
3) big red rubber bone I bought at walmart- 4 weeks

anything that says heavy rubber won't go anywhere fast...

·
Registered
51 Posts
If he likes stuffies, you could always try skinneez. They are stuffies without the stuffing and seem quite durable. On average one lasts us 2-4 months and that's with daily playing by my two girls (tugging, chewing, fetching, etc.)
My 7 month old weim destroyed the fox in about 2 hours. Only took him 30 minutes to destroy the squirrel after that. :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 7 month old weim destroyed the fox in about 2 hours. Only took him 30 minutes to destroy the squirrel after that. :(
I'm pretty sure he would do the same, tbh. It just seems physically impossible to make a cloth/stuffed toy that isn't going to be torn up easily, especially with how easily he destroys "indestructible" rubber.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've given up on stuffed toys for either of the malinois. Mighty mal (the younger one) has destroyed any and every type of stuffed/soft toy I can find, even those labeled for extreme chewers.

I've had good luck with KONG products (they make a pretty durable frisbee), Orbee products (they make quite a few balls that are outstandingly tough), and everything else I just have to monitor closely. Our dogs love playing tug, so I wait until I can find rope bones on sale, then stock up, knowing full well that they will bite the dust soon after they come out of the package. ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried some Invincible Chains today. He was really excited about them, liked them a lot (I liked how they smelled, too), but the first ring broke within thirty minutes of playing with them (while I was tugging on them with him). He's now got the rest in teeny tiny pieces in only about 15 minutes. Hardly invincible. :(

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
The regular Kongs are pretty much meant to have treats inside to make them interesting. I have the regular sized black Kong for my 75 lbs dog and he will gnaw on it for a long time with peanut butter smeared inside; we also turn it into a bounce-and-chase toy on my hardwood floors when the pb runs low :)

He's had the largest size regular Nylabone for a long time but is rarely interested in it, I think because it has little flavor and not much "give" It has been durable though even when he goes at it all he manages is to scrape at the ends.

Raw bones make great supervised chews, try some beef ribs or beef knuckle bones. They obviously won't last as long as a durable chew but they are healthy, clean the teeth and are very cheap if you can find them on sale or for the "leftover" bones, find a butcher or grocer who will set them aside for you.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
the Go Dog baby dragons are really durable for stuffies ... granted mine killed the squeakers in like 5 minutes the stuffies themselves are really strong ... we play tug with them even and they play tug together with them ... they have stood up really well .......i have been pleasently surprised with them

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The regular Kongs are pretty much meant to have treats inside to make them interesting. I have the regular sized black Kong for my 75 lbs dog and he will gnaw on it for a long time with peanut butter smeared inside; we also turn it into a bounce-and-chase toy on my hardwood floors when the pb runs low :)

He's had the largest size regular Nylabone for a long time but is rarely interested in it, I think because it has little flavor and not much "give" It has been durable though even when he goes at it all he manages is to scrape at the ends.

Raw bones make great supervised chews, try some beef ribs or beef knuckle bones. They obviously won't last as long as a durable chew but they are healthy, clean the teeth and are very cheap if you can find them on sale or for the "leftover" bones, find a butcher or grocer who will set them aside for you.
He unfortunately doesn't chew when I put peanut butter inside, he just licks it all out then is done with it.

I kind of figured he'd be similar about the nylabone. If it's hard as a rock, I don't think he'd like it.

I'd really like to get those, but I don't know where to get them. I don't know of any butchers around here. The grocery store by my house has a meat department, but they don't actually have bones/butcher stuff there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the Go Dog baby dragons are really durable for stuffies ... granted mine killed the squeakers in like 5 minutes the stuffies themselves are really strong ... we play tug with them even and they play tug together with them ... they have stood up really well .......i have been pleasently surprised with them
I really don't think any stuffed toy would last him. He's managed to destroy fairly hard "indestructible" rubber, so a "tough" stuffed toy seems like it would only take a matter of minutes.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
He unfortunately doesn't chew when I put peanut butter inside, he just licks it all out then is done with it.

I kind of figured he'd be similar about the nylabone. If it's hard as a rock, I don't think he'd like it.

I'd really like to get those, but I don't know where to get them. I don't know of any butchers around here. The grocery store by my house has a meat department, but they don't actually have bones/butcher stuff there.
Is deer hunting popular in your area? Go to a hunting/gun supply shop and ask where people get their deer processed. A lot of times, you can either buy the deer bones (in season) or the same butcher will also process local cattle, pigs etc.

Another place to look is ethnic, especially Asian and Caribbean, markets where the on-bone meat is more popular for stews etc.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
i dont know though ... cuz we play pretty rough ... and the way they are constructed lets the outside layer kinda slip over a protective under layer .... if you felt one i think you would know what i mean ... but it really seems to be different than any other stuffie we have

another idea is buy a piece of animal fur like they use for tracking and coursing and let him play with that...

also deer antlers ... mine arent huge chewers ... but for some reason the deer antlers are awesome ... just make sure they arent the white ones ... they have been processed ... they should be more brownish grey

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is deer hunting popular in your area? Go to a hunting/gun supply shop and ask where people get their deer processed. A lot of times, you can either buy the deer bones (in season) or the same butcher will also process local cattle, pigs etc.

Another place to look is ethnic, especially Asian and Caribbean, markets where the on-bone meat is more popular for stews etc.
Somewhat, though none of it is very close to me. I don't know of any hunting shops in my city, it's more common in the more rural areas, not here.

This I might be able to do though. I know there's an Asian market around here somewhere.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
If you buy some bones and they work out well, it can be worth a road trip to buy a good bunch of them to put in the freezer. I get beef bones for $0.50 / lb which is basically the cost of the plastic wrapping, ice and the butcher's time to wrap them up for me. Plus, road trips can mean fun time at state parks etc :)

You could also post on craigslist for butcher suggestions since I'll bet there are plenty of people from the city that hunt and just take care of everything while they are out camping or at a friend's house in a rural area.

I do suggest that if you try pork, you introduce it slowly and in small amounts. Out of all the major meats, pork seems most likely to upset stomachs (most dogs are fine with it but when they aren't.......)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts