Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finnlee is tearing up all his toys. He's a 15 week old Chihuahua/Papillon mix. He's got toys torn to bits in 30 minutes. Which is normal but are there any that last longer so he and I get our money's worth? Would toys for tough chewers be okay? I was thinking they would be too hard with his baby teeth.

Thanks,

AJ & Finnlee

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have had a lot of success with Kongs. They are stuffable, so if they don't want to chew it you can put their favorite treat inside. They are made out of a hard rubber that they shouldn't be able to destroy (if they do start breaking pieces off, the toy should be thrown away). The material has some give to it, so you don't have to worry about them fracturing their teeth. IIRC, they have a certain type made for teething puppies.

I've seen some real power chewers fail to break Kongs. Not saying it can't be done, but if they destroy a Kong, they will destroy anything. :p

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
If he's tearing up soft toys, only give those to him when you can supervise him, or better yet, to play together with. Otherwise, look into things like Kongs, Benebones, Nylabones, or other sturdier toys made to survive being chewed on. It goes without saying that you need to make sure you get the appropriate size chew for him. you don't want one so small it could become a choking hazard, but on the other hand, a toy suitable for a Great Dane would be way too big for a toy sized pup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I wanted to ask if anyone ever tried playing with a cat teaser toy with their dogs.

Something similar to this: KONG Active Feather Teaser Cat Toy and one not containing catnip.
https://www.chewy.com/kong-active-feather-teaser-cat-toy/dp/51522

I just thought it could be a good option when Finnlee and I are stuck inside due to the weather. He loves to chase toys.

AJ & Finnlee

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
The cat toy is basically a flirt pole. If you are going to use a flirt pole with a young puppy, the rules are keep it on the ground and no sharp turns. Large, rather slow circles are best. You want them to chase it, but not wipe put trying to make a turn, especially if you don't have rugs or carpet to help with traction.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
You can sit on the floor and drag a long toy around you like playing with a kitten. Max loved that game and he was my flirt pole loving dog too.

Ginger's favorite tug toys are rope covered with fake fur like Kong TuggerKnots. The squeakers get killed but the toys remain basically intact. Bucky has to get the squeakers out of stuffies but strangely he just squeaks Multipet's latex Loofa Dogs until they die. The simpler the stuffy the less likely my two have to dissect it so hedgehog shaped stuffies tend to last pretty well.

Tough toys aren't fun. Dogs won't play with them if they cannot get a tooth in there. Watch out for rubber toys. Ginger likes to tear pieces off ones with thinner bits. Kongs have been fine but a scary face rubber toy got the teeth pulled out. Ginger is 10 years old and a 14 pound princess. You wouldn't think she'd be that motivated to kill toys. Well she is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts