Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been feeding Taco TOTW for about 6 months now. The last bag I bought was the High Prairie flavor that he started two or so months ago. He's usually on Comfortis for fleas, and about a month ago I realized I was a couple of weeks late giving him his pill. He usually has a few fleas even if I give him his dose exactly on time just because the fleas are SO bad around here. But when I checked him, he didn't have a single, solitary flea. The only change that I've made at all is his food, so that has to be the reason.

I had heard that feeding a high quality food made a difference, but I guess I had to see it to believe it. He is 6 weeks past due for his Comfortis and is still completely flea free. So that's one more point in favor of spending a little more on better food. I may be spending a few bucks more for his food, but I'm saving at least $16 a month on flea preventive. And since a $25 bag lasts about 4 months, it's like I'm feeding him for free with an extra $39 in my pocket every 4 months :)

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I don't understand how a dog eating well could make him less desirable to fleas? Could it be any other reason, like more or less rain than usual in your area?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have heard many times that if you feed a dog better food they won't get fleas. The theory is that fleas are only attracted to unhealthy dogs. I don't think I am willing to take the chance though of that theory being wrong.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
You have been lucky. Usually I only give flea prevention a few times a year. This year they have attempted.to take over. I don't believe its the food at all. I fed totw and it did nothing for fleas. I have switched to 4health a couple of years ago. It does nothing for fleas either.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Agreed I think it is probably coincidence. Even if fleas somehow knew the difference between a healthy or an unhealthy animal, I don't think they would care. Everybody's got blood, healthy or unhealthy.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I have also noticed a correlation between general health and the number of fleas. . .and a correlation between quality of food and general health. . .so it makes sense to me. Maybe a healthy animal bites the fleas off faster? Or their blood tastes bad to fleas? IDK.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Probably the more fleas a dog has, the unhealthier it becomes? So by the time you notice dogs over run with fleas, they have skin reactions, poor coats, tapeworms, not to mention probably other intestinal parasites due to lack of general care.

Take a healthy dog, fed totw, put him in with some strays for two weeks and see if he has fleas.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I feed TOTW, and checked on the recall......None of it was shipped to Iowa...But I also checked the bag number, and still it was o.k.

Any more, a good deal of dog food has been on recall at one time or another...I figure that when there is a recall on any brand, go to their website, and checked the bag numbers. Even Blue Buffalo, which I think is great dog food has been recalled.....

Just check the web for any recalls of any dog food.............

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Probably the more fleas a dog has, the unhealthier it becomes? So by the time you notice dogs over run with fleas, they have skin reactions, poor coats, tapeworms, not to mention probably other intestinal parasites due to lack of general care.

Take a healthy dog, fed totw, put him in with some strays for two weeks and see if he has fleas.
I think the healthy dog (if kept healthy with good food and deparasitizing) would have a lot fewer fleas. Yeah, you can't prevent fleas from hitching a ride on him, but his general health will be a factor in how many stick around, IMO.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I think the healthy dog (if kept healthy with good food and deparasitizing) would have a lot fewer fleas. Yeah, you can't prevent fleas from hitching a ride on him, but his general health will be a factor in how many stick around, IMO.
How and why, though? It doesn't make sense to me, unless an animal is SO debilitated that it can't groom itself at all. But the relatively slight difference from one kibble to a slightly higher quality kibble... I can't even make up a theory on why that would make a difference.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I don't know the ingredients of TOTW, but I've heard that yeast as an ingredient can help prevent fleas. I've been feeding Dog Lover's Gold for the past couple of months and have also not noticed fleas, which is surprising cause Kit is usually a friggin flea magnet.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Saya eats a good raw diet she even gets all her liver and other secreting organ, heart and tongue grass fed/free ranged and sometimes free ranged chicken or grass fed boneless beef when they have decent sale still pricey, but she loves it.

Ticks still love her! Fleas we never had a issue with fleas with the dogs..

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Fleas and ticks are less attracted to healthy dogs, from what I've heard. I have no idea what the science behind it is. It's important to note that they are *less* attracted, it's not that a good diet creates an impenetrable barrier. They'll still come around, especially in areas where fleas/ticks are a huge problem.

I've only had flea issues twice in 4 years, and have lived in southern Texas, Colorado, and San Diego. First time was when baby foster kitties brought them in and I didn't leave them in the quarantine bathroom long enough. Second time was when we moved into our house last fall. The house came with fleas.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
My mom's first apartment in San Diego had a flea infestation. She didn't even have a pet at the time! Some places are just flea heaven.

No, I don't have any idea how and why, I just know what I see :). Super unscientifical, I know :p.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
One thought is healthy animals are better at grooming than animals in imperfect health. Max has always been able to find and destroy any tick unlucky enough to climb aboard but Sassy didn't try to get them off. There was a study on African herd animals on that but it is down at the moment.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0031938495021868

Perhaps this one seems more relevant. Fecal odor? That yeast/garlic stuff may be on the right track after all.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21445567

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
My dogs are.healthy as can be and recently we got infested with fleas. I gave a.dose of frontline, they multiplied like crazy. After the second dose of frontline did nothing, comfortis took care of them.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My dogs are fed really high quality foods, are healthy, and I have never had to give flea preventative... Course we dont have fleas here.... LOL Sorry, I just had to :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts