Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Benji is only 8 weeks old today (he is also half beagle), and with that had his first treat (only to be used to go potty). The first treat was the start of it all! LOL

As soon as he got his chops on his Rollovers he is now whinning to go potty...alittle too much. Meaning, he is whinnning as soon as he has the littlest pee in his bladder.

Apperently this food driven nature is the 'leading' cause to why so many beagle are over weight. However since he is only being rewarded to potty, this shouldnt effect him..should it?

And, once he is able to hold his bladder longer say around 12-15 weeks of age ish, can I start only giving him a potty treat once in awhile? will he still ask to go out, or be a brat (LOL) and not ask because a treat will not be rewarded?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Personally I don't reward them for going potty, I find it distracts them from the job at hand (they don't finish going, just squirt enough to get the treat, oh boy treats, foood...... nmmmmm....... )and they end up going in the house two minutes later or like you're finding, asking to go every ten seconds for another treat. I use food for training of course, but housebreaking is kinda a given, if they don't go they're back in the crate or being watched more and going out again sooner.

I work at a house with a beagle and yep, food motivated brats is a good description! He got in trouble yesterday for grabbing a sandwich off the counter when I turned my back. He could at least have the morals to wait till I'm three feet away next time....

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
That's beagles for you! My little beagle mix will do anything for food . . . and take it right off my plate while I'm looking at him if I don't make him hold a sit while I eat! The advantage is that it makes training fairly easy.

In your situation, I'd cut the treats out for house training, just make sure he never gets the chance to go inside and praise going outside. Bring the treats back out for obedience training, but be prepared to use low value treats. I have to stick with kibble or slightly better than kibble home baked treats with Kabota for everything but recall. I train recall with chicken, fish, etc., but if I use real meat for anything else, he gets way too excited and can't remember the commands.

And be very careful with his weight. You rarely see a beagle at a good weight, and being overweight is terrible for dogs.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats for the replies and advice! I've cut his treats up into quarters so he gets a small taste and only when he does a full pee and not a dribble. He can go threw most of the night without peeing...says 2 nights in a role where i slept threw my alarm clock for his bathroom times, and he didnt have an accident pee wise...but poop yes. Ifs funny how someone so small he poops more then Koda!

Mom keeps asking why he isnt potty trained yet, i laugh like an idoit and explain he is only an infant yet. Silly mom.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
It would be like asking why a 3 month old baby still uses diapers! Lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts