Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When introducing my dog, I usually instruct people on how to greet her properly, and how to keep from overstimulating her, and discourage her from jumping up with a doggie-hug. "I want her to learn to remain calm, and need your help to maintain her training," I explain somberly, and everyone nods and agrees.

So what did I do today, when greeted by a pair of hyperactive Lab puppies? I drop to my knees, heartily embrace both of them, and whoop & giggle excitedly as they drown me with kisses. Basically, I encouraged and rewarded every bad behavior imaginable - and enjoyed every minute of it.

I didn't start to feel guilty until much, much later.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I'd rather have very young pups learn that meeting new people is the best thing ever, and deal with excess exuberance later on.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I have never understood the no hug rule, I use hugs while training as a good pressure release. I even thump my chest to encourage it. When doG made puppies he also made hugs to accommodate them. My opinion only.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
What I like to see is a dog that understands when to jump up and when not to jump up... Like Donatello- I will pat my chest and say, "Give your ole'mom a hug!" and he'll jump up, (usually when he's on the sofa.) When he's on the ground I pat my hip and he'll jump up and give my leg a hug (don't confuse that with humping my leg. lol!)

He doesn't ever jump up unless invited, and I like it that way... I hope it sticks.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
What I like to see is a dog that understands when to jump up and when not to jump up... Like Donatello- I will pat my chest and say, "Give your ole'mom a hug!" and he'll jump up, (usually when he's on the sofa.) When he's on the ground I pat my hip and he'll jump up and give my leg a hug (don't confuse that with humping my leg. lol!)

He doesn't ever jump up unless invited, and I like it that way... I hope it sticks.
You have read my mind (not hard reading) If we can train dogs to be guide dogs, police dogs, bomb dogs, dope/termite dogs, etc etc etc. We can train a dog to jump when wanted and not to jump unless asked.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Exactly, WVASKO! lol!

I had a client last month, who had a dog that could not quit jumping-up on strangers, (even them at times!) It was ridiculous, but their training wasn't very strong... They were real push-overs, and I wholeheartedly agree that a dog can sense when you're a serious player and when you're not... They would be firm and strong, but in every other aspect of the dog's daily-life wasn't...

I went over there four times, and after the second visit, he stopped jumping up on me- (He knew I wasn't joking! : P ) lol!

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dally exhibited mild separation anxiety when I first got her; if I went to the bathroom for 5 minutes, she would jump up and hug me as soon as I came out, then go into submissive urination if I gave her any attention. She's mostly over it, so I suppose I can revoke the no-hug rule, but I'd rather be safe and try and be sure to break the habit first (which kind of sucks, because I love the doggie-hug).

Regardless, whatever training their owner was trying to give, I'm pretty sure I ruined it for them.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I wouldn't look at it that way, George... It just assures them that they have to be even more diligent with their training later on. I'm sure those labs will be tested enough through-out their life to "jump up" and "give hugs", it just reassures them they have to make sure their training is consistent, that way when people like you, who can't resist pups, they'll be positive their dogs won't give in. ; ) lol!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I do the same thing. :) Except if they do jump, I stand up. I'll get super excited tho.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have a Boxer/Beagle mix and he can be very exuberant when meeting people, especially kids! He is a lover . . . so I taught him "prairie dog" and he sits on his back feet with his paws in the air like a prairie dog and waits for love . . . that way he doesn't knock anyone over. Plus he looks about as cute as can be so I think he nets more love that way anyway! :)

Kelley

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Dally exhibited mild separation anxiety when I first got her; if I went to the bathroom for 5 minutes, she would jump up and hug me as soon as I came out, then go into submissive urination if I gave her any attention. She's mostly over it, so I suppose I can revoke the no-hug rule, but I'd rather be safe and try and be sure to break the habit first (which kind of sucks, because I love the doggie-hug).

Regardless, whatever training their owner was trying to give, I'm pretty sure I ruined it for them.
No, you do not have to revoke a no-hug rule. You just set the rules that work with your little dog. Don't you dare change anything that is working just because some hollow-headed rascal (me) spouts off with something. If you feel like adjusting rules that's fine but each dog is different and it sounds like your dog's problems are already being tended to. Look at it this way if I start a dog and he jumps up and is looking at me eye to eye and growls and shows me some teeth, I won't be hugging him any time soon. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
You could always come meet my dogs, George. I gave up on that training. People get fair warning that they WILL jump if approached, then it's up to them. About 90% of people we meet still go through with it. To this day it rattles my cage that total strangers systematically destroyed the no jumping thing by totally ignoring my presence and instructions. "Oh, it's ok! I love doggy greetings!" Stupid dog loving town...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts