Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 85lb, 11 year old Golden Retriever that has a torn ACL. I don't want to do surgery because of cost and his age, but I was thinking of getting him a A-TraC brace for support . What is some opinions people have on a brace or what other course of action would you take?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the surgery on one dog and he recovered great. Did it on another, and he refused to walk on it or put weight on it, and he blew out the other knee. Vet said based on how he was with the first knee, not to do surgery on the 2nd knee. He did Cortisone injections, and let me know that he would develop arthritis, and need to be on some kind of painkiller/NSAID eventually.

I put him on Glucosamine/MSM/Chondroitin supplements, and he was good for about 2 yrs then needed NSAIDS for his remaining 4 yrs.

CK w/your vet about Cortisone injections, the brace, and then put him on a Glucosamine supplement.
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I contacted my vet about joint enhancers and going to start him on that and still trying to decide on the brace. My vet is against the brace because he thinks it won't help.

One question I have for you is if your dog tore his ACL in his other leg, how did he get around?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts