Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 85lb, 11 year old Golden Retriever that has a torn ACL. I don't want to do surgery because of cost and his age, but I was thinking of getting him a A-TraC brace for support . What is some opinions people have on a brace or what other course of action would you take?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I did the surgery on one dog and he recovered great. Did it on another, and he refused to walk on it or put weight on it, and he blew out the other knee. Vet said based on how he was with the first knee, not to do surgery on the 2nd knee. He did Cortisone injections, and let me know that he would develop arthritis, and need to be on some kind of painkiller/NSAID eventually.

I put him on Glucosamine/MSM/Chondroitin supplements, and he was good for about 2 yrs then needed NSAIDS for his remaining 4 yrs.

CK w/your vet about Cortisone injections, the brace, and then put him on a Glucosamine supplement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the surgery on one dog and he recovered great. Did it on another, and he refused to walk on it or put weight on it, and he blew out the other knee. Vet said based on how he was with the first knee, not to do surgery on the 2nd knee. He did Cortisone injections, and let me know that he would develop arthritis, and need to be on some kind of painkiller/NSAID eventually.

I put him on Glucosamine/MSM/Chondroitin supplements, and he was good for about 2 yrs then needed NSAIDS for his remaining 4 yrs.

CK w/your vet about Cortisone injections, the brace, and then put him on a Glucosamine supplement.
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I contacted my vet about joint enhancers and going to start him on that and still trying to decide on the brace. My vet is against the brace because he thinks it won't help.

One question I have for you is if your dog tore his ACL in his other leg, how did he get around?

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
It is really common for the other knee to go shortly after the first...that leg just takes so much weight and compensation for the injured leg.

In much smaller dogs, leaving the injured leg to heal on it's own (lots of rest and supportive care) often works, providing he is not a 'canine athlete'. Bigger dogs means more weight and this can be a problem.

To get a PROPER and fitted brace or orthotic for your dog (so he doesn't have chafing or pressure issues) can also be very expensive..so you may have to still really invest some dollars there so his life can be happy and relatively pain free. Braces are good and bad in the sense that it protects his stability but that the muscles surrounding the injured knee also NEED rehab so they don't become atrophied. I would talk to a good orthopod about this or a rehab doctor to determine what you can do to prevent those sort of problems. Usually this means wearing the brace most of the time but taking time OFF to work on stretching, massage and strengthening exercises as well.

Check out www.pawsability.ca for some info on orthotics..it's a Canadian site..but they may be able to help you find someone in the US, if that's where you are.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I contacted my vet about joint enhancers and going to start him on that and still trying to decide on the brace. My vet is against the brace because he thinks it won't help.

One question I have for you is if your dog tore his ACL in his other leg, how did he get around?
He didn't at first. I would carry him out to the yard and hold him up so he could go to the bathroom. After 2 days, I ended up leaving him at the vets for a week for rehab, so they could get him to walk.

·
Registered
417 Posts
my bulldog tore her ACL about 2 years ago she was about 15-20 lbs over weight and thats what caused it. Vet said we could do surgery but she just had surgery for a MCT that was cancerous and had to have a toe amputated and a chunk taken out of her front leg. We opted not to do the surgery for the ACL and we made her rest a lot and put her on a diet drug for her to loose weight. Well here we are 2 years later she is normal weight and no problems with her legs. She does have mild arthritis but we give her gluco tablets twice a day for that and she is now happy and healthy!

every dog is different and you have to make the best choice along with your vet. At the time the vet said they wouldnt even do the surgery because of her weight and being a bulldog bad combo so she lost the weight and her leg was back to pretty much normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts