Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with a torn ACL in their dog? I just took my 7 mo. old Lab mix to the vet because she was limping. She wouldn't put any pressure on her right, rear leg. The vet said it was a torn ACL and that she would need surgery. The surgery sounds major (and expensive) and the recovery sounds long. The vet also said that she will have a 25% chance of a torn ACL on her left leg. Has anyone else had this happen and what was your experience? Thanks. I feel so sad for my puppy. :(

·
Registered
718 Posts
Does anyone have experience with a torn ACL in their dog? I just took my 7 mo. old Lab mix to the vet because she was limping. She wouldn't put any pressure on her right, rear leg. The vet said it was a torn ACL and that she would need surgery. The surgery sounds major (and expensive) and the recovery sounds long. The vet also said that she will have a 25% chance of a torn ACL on her left leg. Has anyone else had this happen and what was your experience? Thanks. I feel so sad for my puppy. :(
Sorry to hear about you pup. ACL and its related injuries are pretty major stuff. There will be few things to get treated including surgeries. You will probably get 3 different surgery options and each has its pros and cons. You might also be able to do "conservative management" without having surgery. (it depends on the degree of the injury, i suppose)

I have researched about CCL (same as ACL, CCL is a dog version of it). This is a good to site to visit.

http://dogkneeinjury.com/

Good luck.

-n

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Around here that is the second most common dog surgery after spay/neuter. (The dogs usually do it postholing through the snow.) The recovery does take a while. Frequently the dog will need physical therapy afterwards to get them using the leg. I haven't *knock wood* had to have it done to either of my dogs, but I've had a few friends that have. They would all do it again. The dogs ended up fully mobile and pain free.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts