Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who use products like Revolution, Advantage Multi, Frontline, etc. do you treat all year round? I live in Toronto, where its currently below freezing and was told that I only need to treat June-November as fleas cannot survive these harsh temps. That doesn't seem right to me though because it gets warm long before june. Sometimes by early april it already feels like summer. And to top things off my dog is constantly exposed to other dogs. As a huge bugaphobe I have been paranoid since I stopped treating in Decemeber. Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
not a scientist but it has to be colder up there then it is here for Southern CO and I don't treat for fleas and ticks, raw diet and garlic to keep the dogs free. All the animals get garlic chickens up to the horses Just can't be sure it really works as well as I see it, since we do have cold enough winters to break the cycle for fleas and ticks.. Now is someone from one of the Southern states ( I come from LA) said it works for them , then I would believe it to be 100% an advantage against them.. All I know about the drops is the my dogs had a bad reaction because the vet mixed it with their vaccination worst day of my life and took down Honey and Blade from ever having a normal life again.

Have you tried any of the flea traps to see if you have a current active flea problem? Be great if the dogs could get a break from those drops and let it get out of their system.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I live in upstate NY and treat as the vets I used to work for recommended - treat until the ground is frozen for 3 consecutive days, then stop. Resume when there is a thaw for 3 consecutive days.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I use topical's April through November in my area in Ohio. Last year there were extra cases of Heartworm disease in our area. I make sure to always give Heartguard plus and I use Frontline plus.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I use topical's April through November in my area in Ohio. Last year there were extra cases of Heartworm disease in our area. I make sure to always give Heartguard plus and I use Frontline plus.
Good point! Heartworm we treat all year round. It's just the flea/tick we stop for a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts