Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all.

I'm new here, but I've been panicking because of what's happened.

My wife and I picked up a six week old Border Collie puppy yesterday morning. Now, I know that the general consensus is that puppies shouldn't be taken home until at least eight weeks, but because of the way my work schedule is and how the weather's been (we live in Oregon) this was our only opportunity to go pick him up.

On our way home, we had him get out at a pet zone in a rest area to attempt to relieve himself and drink some water. Then, later that night we introduced him to our other two dogs at a nearby dog park and let him run around for a few minutes. We also took him out today to "show him off" at my wife's workplace.

After we got home today, I started doing more research about vaccines and canine illness, and I am now terrified about his potentially catching parvovirus. He's had his first set of shots, but it's unclear how much protection he has at this point. I can't help think about how he might get really sick and potentially die, and I would hate to see that happen simply because I didn't look up the information before we took him out.

I guess what I'm asking is.. How worried should I be? Do I need to rush him to the vet and have him tested? Does he have ANY protection against the disease? How likely is it that he caught something just from a few exposures to the outside world?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Watch him and don't do it again. With puppies we take calculated risks to socialize, but taking him to a pet area AND a dog park at that young is just a bad idea as far as exposing him to all sorts of things, parvo always sticking out in my mind.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
All you can do now is keep an eye on him and rush him off to the vet at the first sign of illness. No reason to test if he shows no symptoms (and it's possible he would be exposed to something at the vet's office, too). Tons of dogs aren't vaccinated at all and never get sick. . .it's just a gamble.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Look for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, not eating (but that can be normal for a first night home with a new pup). If you just got the pup you should take it for a vet check regardless but don't let it touch the ground, carry it in your arms or in a carrier.

I wouldn't take him to any place where dogs frequent until he has the rest of his shots.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, all.

He hasn't had any symptoms so far. He's been eating fine, full of energy (when he's awake), and hasn't been vomiting or anything like that. I'm just trying to gauge whether I'm worrying needlessly or not. I know the disease is terrible, but there doesn't seem to be any information on its prevalence or what the likelihood is that a young puppy with only one shot will contract the disease from only a couple of (potential) exposures. According to a vet in the area, we haven't had any parvo cases in the area since last winter, and we have a high rate of vaccination in our area, so I'm hoping that my ignorance was mostly harmless.

Another thing: We went to PetCo yesterday, and didn't take the puppy in, but now I'm worried that I may have tracked something in on my shoes. This is so anxiety inducing!

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Your anxiety is out of proportion to the actual risks unless you live in an area with a very high incidence of parvo and/or low vaccination rates, which it sounds like you don't.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would monitor him, and by sassafras's post it sounds like the puppy will be all right.

p.s. Once everything has settled down I would look at this: http://www.dogforums.com/first-time-dog-owner/8377-bite-stops-here.html
You will probably have a lot work ahead of you with biting and nipping since he was taken away from his litter mates too young, that is who they learn bite inhibition from.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Next time if you want to take him out you could just carry him, although i would probably not take him to the dog park still, as some dogs would probably get annoyed not being able to say hello, and as they are normally packed i would not take him, there's no dog parks where i live so i carried Holly, but you could take him into town and maybe round the block, but do not put him on the floor, that way he still gets to meet people and see dogs, oh and i would love to see photo's of your BC, i love BC's!.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts