Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few days ago my friend, my girlfriend and I were walking (in Beijing) and we saw this old haggard ass beggar abusing her puppies, I told her if I saw her hit the puppies one more time, I was going to take them. Sure enough, she hit the dogs again and we took the little guys (technically both girls) back to my apartment. The beggar followed us to our apartment with a mob and waited outside while we called the police and ended up going to the station, where the people realized the beggar was a lying piece of shit and we ended up with the dogs.

We have taken them to the vet but the vets in China are pretty incompetent and it felt rushed since there were a lot of other people waiting. He said the dogs are about 30 days old and prescribed Frontline Plus (which we applied yesterday) to take care of the ticks they had and said to bring them back in two months.

What he didn't prescribe, however, was a dewormer, which these poor dogs desperately needed. He said they were too young, and we had to wait two months. We decided they'd be dead before two months were up, so we bought Dentrol Plus and gave it to them the day before yesterday, and they started pooping out tons of worms.

One of them ate their own poop, we think it was Baybay (their names are Hera and Baybay). According to the internet, it's because their diet lacks nutrients. We think we've been giving them enough food, and Hera hasn't tried to eat her own poop. We're concerned because Baybay looks bloated and sometimes starts yelping and we're not sure why. We don't know if it's pain or if we gave her too much food or something. We're talking about taking them to the vet again today. What happens if they eat too much? We have no idea how to regulate their food intake or anything. Baybay is still pooping and peeing and eating and was just playing with toys and stuff before she started yelping. We have no idea what's wrong. When we took them to the vet, Baybay weighed 1.6 kilograms and Hera weighed 1.4 kilograms. That was three days ago though.

My girlfriend has been making them egg yolk, dog food and a little bit of sausage, and we always mix it with water to make sure they get enough to drink too. Do they need more salt maybe? We have no idea. Can they eat meat yet?

Oh, the Drontol Plus seems to be working. Every time they poop there's more and more dead worms, but also some appear to still be alive. Is that normal? We also just shaved a little bit of their fur and applied the Frontline Plus. The insects are supposed to just die and not jump off in our apartment and run around, right? There's less and less worms now, and sometimes no worms that we can see.

How do we start training these ladies to not chew shit like computer wires and stuff? I take it the alpha roll is a bad idea? What kind of treats are safe to give them a lot of?

How do we go about crate training and stuff if we have two puppies? Do we need two crates? Is it normal for them to go to the bathroom in the crate at night?

PICTURES!!!! (We don't give them milk anymore, that was the first night and they didn't want to eat anything else.)

Our other used-to-be-homeless dog:

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
What do the worms look like? I've really only had my dog with the small tapeworms which is pretty common in dogs from ingesting fleas. I don't know if it's because the worm infestation in them is probably more severe but I don't think you should be seeing live worms. (EDIT: Apparently that assumption is wrong, good to know)

Baybay being bloated could be roundworms maybe? I'm not sure about puppy behavior. Yelping seems more like it'd be pain tho. Does she seem scared when she yelps? Whining could be for things like attention, hunger, bathroom, normal baby stuff. I don't think eating too much should be causing any of that other than maybe needing to poop.

I don't think there's any issue with feeding pups meat but I'm not sure. There are plenty of puppies who are raised on a raw diet although I'm not sure if there's a specific age they start or if you have any estimates of how old your pups are. Just curious what kind of sausage and cooked or raw? I'm not sure how much I'd trust raw pork in China and also heavy seasonings in stuff like "italian sausage" or whatever aren't particularly good for the dogs.

I think Frontline is a slow acting poison, so the insects could "jump off and run around" but they should eventually die....maybe

For training it should be all pretty typical stuff and I'm not a great trainer so I'll leave that for others to answer. Idk about putting them in the same crate but dogs don't like peeing where they sleep so they shouldn't pee in their crate unless you don't take them out to go potty.

btw there's nothing wrong with giving dogs milk if they're not lactose intolerant

Oh for treats most store bought treats aren't great or they're overpriced. hotdogs, cheese, boiled meat can all serve as treats. Just like snacks for humans, treats really shouldn't be given too much although giving something like plain old meat can't really hurt in larger quantities.

Good luck

·
Registered
703 Posts
My dogs had dead and live worms after we rescued them and gave them the de-worming treatment.

Have you thought about starting vaccinations? That's really important in developing countries, even more so than in places where vaccines are the norm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was only one time where the poop had live worms, now most of the time there's no worms, or if there is one or two they're dead.

Baybay seems ok, she might have just eaten too much or something. We're thinking she's complaining more than in pain, since she still runs around like a little idiot while yelling.

We were told that milk gives them diarrhea, so we shouldn't give it to them.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Wet dog food and raw meat is good to give them. You could also give them some dry food mixed with wet food. I wouldn't give milk or sausages. Milk is unnatural and unnecessary, and sausages are pretty unhealthy.

To stop them chewing wires, cover all the wires, or put the puppies in a pen when you can't supervise, and give them toys they are allowed to chew. You can't teach puppies to not chew, you can only teach them what you want them to chew. Once they've finished teething they will stop chewing so much.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
To stop them chewing wires, cover all the wires, or put the puppies in a pen when you can't supervise, and give them toys they are allowed to chew. You can't teach puppies to not chew, you can only teach them what you want them to chew. Once they've finished teething they will stop chewing so much.
Quoted for emphasis. It's all about supervision with puppies. They're babies and don't know yes from no, and unlike human children, they won't learn the same way, so there's really no telling them. Just give them lots of toys and chews, watch them and puppy-proof your home the way you would with a child.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The vet actually had it backwards...at 4 weeks, the puppies are old enough for the wormer (and need it), but not yet old enough for the Frontline Plus. You'll need to repeat the wormer several times, at intervals...don't remember what they are, but it should be on the Drontol box. If they seem to be doing ok with the Frontline, I wouldn't worry too much and just wait another month for the next dose (when they will be old enough).

My latest dog came with tons of worms as a puppy, it took several times to clear them all and, yes, she did poop both dead and live worms, especially the first time, when she had a very heavy load. Did the vet get a stool sample from you? Puppies should be checked for coccydia and other parasites, in addition to the visible worms.

Do get the vaccinations started, that will need to happen before two months are up, not sure what the schedule is in China, but here it starts around 5-6 weeks. Rabies has to wait a bit longer, but make SURE to get that...I've read about human cases of rabies in Beijing, very scary. Keep the puppyies away from other animals until you've completed the basic vaccines. Keep a close eye on their health now, in case they are carrying something already...you have that other dog to protect. Is that older dog fully vaccinated?

The other dog in your pictures is beautiful, by the way, and looks healthy and in good weight, so you do care for dogs well, those puppies are lucky you found them.

·
Registered
704 Posts
no alpha rolling. they are not wolves. nor are you. get 2 crates and a high quality wet or dry dog food. i'm not sure about frontline in particular, but many topical flea treatments help with internal parasites as well.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I wanna put something out there... to get it shot down:
1. From the pictures, the pups look closer to 6 weeks (I think at 4 weeks, they aren't fully coordinated; at 6 weeks, they stumble occasionally when walking, running) (what do their teeth look like?)
2. If the pups are 4 weeks, I don't think they've been fully weaned and they may need mushier food (same stuff, just more water).
3. In the US, De-Wormings and vaccinations used to be given 3 times about 4 weeks apart, starting about 6 - 8 weeks...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts