Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy Bear has been very thin and I'm a bit concerned so I took him to the vet yesterday.
It wasn't a "clear" answer. My 1st option was to do a blood test ($190) or to deworm plus puppy food and increase his kibble.
I chose the dewormer and puppy food route. As I can't afford the $190 blood test at the moment, which I guess this is the if you can't afford a dog you shouldn't have 1. Vet said it might start to get him to gain weight. If not my only other option would be to do blood work.
I will call the Humane Society (usually cheaper) to see if there blood work is cheaper. But I'm really hoping that the puppy food/dewormer will help him increase in weight. He recommended Hills or Royal Canin but said any puppy food would do. I looked for a bag with the most calories and it ended up being Wellness Puppy, at PetSmart and I also was in a hurry there might have been another bag with a bigger calorie per bag. So he said to give him 1 cup and a third of kibble instead of his usual 2/3 a day.
He's weighing 4.11 pounds and he did say he was too thin. This is the lowest Buddy Bear has ever been since I've had him. His normal is close to 6, 5. something. Also Buddy Bear is acting completely normal/being himself and still has his normal appetite. So they really didn't have much to go off of I assume which is why they couldn't give a "clear" answer. But you can literally see every single bone on his bone almost as in "emaciated"
Buddy Bear isn't very active but he does go outside and barks and does get a bit of exercise. He is more like on the "lazy/very light activity"
Yesterday for dinner I took out a tablespoon from the 2/3 I feel like its a but much. He is eating fine/acting fine but I just really wanted to take out a Tablespoon and I think I will do the same tomorrow maybe 2. He's literally getting the same as my 11 and 14 pound dogs. I'm not too comfortable the amount I'm giving him. But I also don't want to go against what the vet said because I want to give it a try.
Any thoughts??

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Really need more information...

A) What breed is Buddy Bear? (Some breeds are more prone to certain conditions than others.)
B) How old is he? (Older dogs can have more issues than younger ones.)
C) Was the weight lost recent and sudden? (This can be the sign of something serious.)

Frankly, I'd bite the bullet and try and come up with the money for the blood work, since that will give you a much better idea of how his organs (liver, kidneys, etc.) are functioning.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chihuahua
About 7. The vet at 1st thought it could be cancer like a mass but he said he thinks he's a bit too young plus didn't feel anything.
He's probably been like this for the past month and a half. He's always been on the thin side but this is the skinniest he's ever been.
I talked about with my mom and she thinks that if he doesn't gain weight I should get his blood work. But I need to start saving now. I have no estimated time on how fast I can come up with the money though. Plus I need to come up with $48 exam on top of the $190

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
You might want to look into Care Credit, if your vet takes it, or see if any of the rescue groups in your area have a fund to help people with vet bills.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Something is definitely up. He is too young to be suffering from digestive decline. If there are lumps then a needle biopsy might be cheaper than blood work. Xray if vet can feel something. Diabetes, liver, kidney disease is diagnosed with blood work. If it is the heart the vet likely would have noticed something. Hope you can get care credit.

Try feeding the amount the vet suggested but divided into more meals per day. I fed my geriatric dog up to 5x a day to keep weight and muscle mass up as best I could. Her gut couldn't handle more volume per meal.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He doesn't have any lumps (vet confirmed)
I'm hoping nothing is wrong internally.
He's fine eating 2/3 for breakfast and dinner. But I might divide it for 3 times.
His BM's are normal and he hasn't skipped a meal like I thought he would.
If I do the blood work test I hope he doesn't have to be put on long term medicine. Aunt's dog was put on long term medicine and she became worse then when she was off the pills. I know it's just 1 "scary" case and there are many factors. But it's still a bit scary.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I called the humane society. I didn't know the proper name I just said blood work. And that it checks for their kidneys, lungs and organs. I'm hoping I'm right...?
They gave me a price of $48 I can definitely afford that.
I will wait for a while to see if Buddy Bear can gain weight off the puppy food.
If not I will take him.
The one that I got the $190 price. I've been going there for all my dogs when they need it. I feel a bit bad that I won't go them I hope they don't get upset but I really just need the cheaper option :/
But I will still use them as their only 5 minutes away from where I live.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
That is good news! I hope he gains weight and doesn't need the blood test though.

Old dogs are expensive. Try to get the care credit now so you are prepared and save some money.

My vet doesn't mind when we buy stuff elsewhere, they mainly want me to continue the relationship and do best I can by my pets.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know older dogs are expensive.
My parents won't let me get care credit tbh (it's complicated)
But I will always try to take care of them to the best of my ability.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My pom is very easy to lose weight/be a bit thin. At a good weight he weighs 3.8lbs, but can drop to 3.3 in a heart beat.
He gets Primal Freeze Dried Raw food as it was the highest calorie food I could find (higher than any puppy food I had seen), and he gets as much as is recommended for a 10 pound dog. When he's eating well he can hold a good weight. (But he is a pain and can skip meals if he doesn't feel like eating so his weight does fluctuate)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow he's less than my Chi.
I wonder if I could put him on a kibble that has raw or freezed dry pieces in it. I've always stayed away from things like that because of the price. But he would be the only one on it. I will look into it. But there also higher in protein I'm guessing. I wonder if he'd could handle it tummy wise

·
Registered
278 Posts
It's not too expensive for the small dogs.
I also have my standard poodle on it to help add weight but obviously it's much too expensive for such a large dog so he gets the amount recommended for a 15 pound dog, and then 3 cups orijen kibble (this is all split into 2 meals a day)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
u must be tired of me but I'm thinking about Instinct (I know their must better brands but it has to be one sold at PetSmart)
Instinct ultimate protein small breed chicken has 491 kcal/cup. I think it has more than the puppy food I bought yesterday. But it doesn't have raw pieces in it.
I will also look into wellness core (I think that's the name)
Can he be eating part Instinct or wellness core and his normal kibble he's on how? Maybe like half and half?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts