Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearing that a puppy should not have any more than 28% protein? I thought the more protein they have the better? I have been feeding my small breed puppies 3 pds and 12 pds Orijen Puppy food. That has 38% protein and 20% fat. They are doing well on it. Should I switch? I know Orijen and Acana are really good brands...I'm also feeding them Fromm grain free puppy. Are these ok choices? I want my pups to have the correct nutrition! I've done rotation diet for my 1st pup who is 9 months old with: Orijen puppy ( and a couple of their Life stages) Acana (life stage), Taste of the Wild Puppy and Fromm Puppy grain free. I plan to rotate with my new 9 wk old as well.
Thoughts on Puppy food for good nutrition and is there a thing of too much protein?

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Puppies need more protein than adults do! There is evidence that it is better for large and giant breed puppies to be on lower calorie food (which usually means lower - but not "low" - protein/fat) while they are growing, because energy fuels growth, and if large-breed puppies grow too fast, it can cause problems with joint development. But since you have small breed puppies, as long as their tummies can tolerate the richness of a high-protein, high-fat diet, I'd say stick with the brands that you've chosen.

Personally, I would stick with just one food until the pup is ~6 months old. The foods that you've listed have a range of protein/fat contents, and changing between foods with substantially different compositions too quickly can cause GI upset. Not a big deal for most adult dogs, but GI upset can be the sign of some really bad things in a young puppy, who also dehydrate faster than adults, which can become a medical emergency really quickly. Plus, with small dogs, you probably won't need to go through very many bags of food. :)

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
I feed 38/18 "active dogs and puppies" most of the time. If the dog does well on 38% protien, 20% fat then I think its a great option.

One thing to ponder when thinking about protein and such...lots of people feed canned food for small dogs. Even the cheap canned food is around 35-38% protein on a dry matter basis (meaning, calculated without the water weight) and high quality canned is around 42-46% protein dry matter. As long as a dog is healthy, high protein and fairly high fat are good things. Provide plenty of fresh water so your dogs can drink as needed to balance things out.

I would not rotate many formulas but I would select 2, maybe 3 options from the major protein choices (beef, chicken, fish, turkey) and give each a 2 month or so try so that you have an idea of what your dog likes, can tolerate and does well on along with how well the dog switches foods. Always good to have a known backup in case of supply/delivery problems. I would not feed any novel protein like lamb, kangaroo, bison, etc so as to always have something available for a food trial if allergies develop in the future

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I'll look it up! It's the same protein/fat ratio as Orijen, which is what I feed now. Which, as you know, is hella expensive!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I'll look it up! It's the same protein/fat ratio as Orijen, which is what I feed now. Which, as you know, is hella expensive!
I also feed Victor Nutra Pro and have had great results. It comes in large bags, too, which is another perk, on top of my dogs being the shiniest on the block.

I'm all for feeding the 'higher end' foods (and I add a lot of homecooked/raw to their kibble) but my dogs do great on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts