Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

So I've owned large breed dogs before. But this is my first time owning a Mini Australian Shepherd. He's a a sweetie and we love him to pieces. But I have some issues with potty training.

I've always crate trained my pups growing up. Finnigan, our mini Aussie, is a challenge. He's fed twice a day 1/2 cup servings (he's still only 12 weeks old) and gets walked considerably. Every time he is removed from the crate, he's immediately taken outside. He urinates about 2-3 times and poops 1-2 times on almost each outing. Not only that, but once brought inside I allow him time with the family with only fresh water available- and he continues to pee AND POOP even though he just went!((* I use the kennel much like a playpen so his time with the family (outside the crate) is limited but he's always in the living room with us where he can still hear and see us. And we constantly talk to him and praise him when he isn't whining.))

Is this normal? He's currently being fed Nutro Source and is being given treats during training sessions and when he goes into his kennel on his own. I know the potty training takes a while as they learn to hold themselves but ALLL THE POOP?

Any suggestions, advice, etc would be sincerely appreciated.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Doesn't sound like he is digesting is food well. Seems like he is pooping to much like you suspect. Id talk to the vet for starters see what sort of thing could be effective his digestion...and change his food to a five star food

maybe add some plain yogurt for digestive health...or look into raw feeding. My basset would poop like your dog no matter what food I put him on...everytime he would go out he would poop 5-6 or more times day big piles. and his blood tests came up fine. Finally I switched him to raw. he poops once or twice a day a little larger then my thumb. huge difference in what he is absorbing and what he is passing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Fade... Thank you!!! Except what exactly do you mean by "raw". I'm unfamiliar with that term. And I'm looking at the list you provided me.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
:) prey model raw ( there are different types of raw diets ) I chose prey model raw. ( i learned about it on this forum and it was a godsend. I can not tell you how healthy my dogs are now. All of their health issues are pretty much all gone. Clean teeth / breath and little poops. Its amazing I preach this diet now lol )

It is the feeding of RAW meat, bones and organs. For proper carnivore nutrition. It models what a carnivore eats in the wild. It also stimulates their brains ripping at meat. Makes my dogs go happy crazy after they eat like they are high. http://preymodelraw.com/

It is complex diet and should be researched thoroughly before starting. A bad raw diet can do harm to your dog. They need balanced nutrition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, Fade. That's pretty intense- just read through an article on it. As much as I would love to be able to do something like that- I'm not sure I could afford it. I have a family of five. I'd have to talk to my husband about it because we wouldn't have freezer space for more meat. Unfortunately. :/

But major kudos to you!! I hope that maybe changing him to a five star, meat based kibble will help. Apparently, the Nutro Source is grain based. It was given to us when we purchased the pup and I didn't realize the difference could be so drastic.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Switching to a grain free 5 star food would be good! but Raw is not to much pricey cheaper then some of the 5 star kibbles for sure . it is intense tho! so with that said! I would try like Evo or taste of the wild or other grain free quality foods. you may get great results.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Blue Buffalo is another great grain free brand. It is part of my rotation of foods. In fact, we should be buying a bag of it soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts