Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

So I've owned large breed dogs before. But this is my first time owning a Mini Australian Shepherd. He's a a sweetie and we love him to pieces. But I have some issues with potty training.

I've always crate trained my pups growing up. Finnigan, our mini Aussie, is a challenge. He's fed twice a day 1/2 cup servings (he's still only 12 weeks old) and gets walked considerably. Every time he is removed from the crate, he's immediately taken outside. He urinates about 2-3 times and poops 1-2 times on almost each outing. Not only that, but once brought inside I allow him time with the family with only fresh water available- and he continues to pee AND POOP even though he just went!((* I use the kennel much like a playpen so his time with the family (outside the crate) is limited but he's always in the living room with us where he can still hear and see us. And we constantly talk to him and praise him when he isn't whining.))

Is this normal? He's currently being fed Nutro Source and is being given treats during training sessions and when he goes into his kennel on his own. I know the potty training takes a while as they learn to hold themselves but ALLL THE POOP?

Any suggestions, advice, etc would be sincerely appreciated. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Our 12 week old Aussie , Finnegan also poops a lot . We feed him 3 times , 1/2 cup each meal. Not concerned , but he is already 18.5lbs!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy smokes!! Ours is still about 12lbs or so!! Yours is named Finnigan, also? That's awesome!

He just drives me nuts because he will poop outside 1-2 times and then come inside and poop again! And I don't use the crate as a negative reprimand... But he's in there a lot because he isn't completely house trained.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts