Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
I am reading up on giving my pup proper excercise and am a little worried I may be pushing her too much. She is a 4 month old Min. Schnauzer. In the morning we go for a 30 minute run/walk. In the afternoon its about another 30 minute walk and the same in the evening a little before dinner.

I don't want to hurt my pup, nor do I want to turn her into a monster who expects so much excercise on a constant basis. I want to also make sure she is tired enough to sleep through the night (usually 10:30pm - 6:30am).

So my question is: should I decrease the time of walks, say 15 in the morning, 30 at lunch, 15 at night....to total an hour and then fill the rest with mental stimulation and training?

She is crate trained just fine. In the morning she's in her crate for 4 hours and in the afternoon she's in the laundry room with her crate door open, toys and frozen PB in a kong.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
You can tell when a dog is too tired. I think if you exercise a dog to the point that they're exhausted it's too much. I don't think a 30 minute walk is excessive as long as the dog isn't plopping down and refusing to move halfway through or showing obvious signs or being exhausted.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I think you've got a good plan to decrease the amount. At 4 months, I'd rather not have too much repetitive jarring from running/walking on hard ground/pavement.

·
Registered
482 Posts
It's not just about whether or not the dog is tired. A puppy is still growing and therefore it is important not to put too much stress/strain on their bones/joints/etc.

I would take the RUN out of walk/run and just go for a walk. ;-) 30 minutes at a time is fine for a 4 month old. Try to stick to more softer surfaces. I don't see a huge issue with going on three separate 30 minute walks (no running).

·
Registered
286 Posts
My Aussie puppy needs lots of exercise, but just a ball toss a few times in the backyard is enough to get him winded and enough is enough.

When he is older, he will be able to go on full tilt for close to half an hour.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts